Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Repaired A/C System...still having issues...

gclunde
07-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Hello All,

My compressor recently froze on my 1995 Honda Accord; I ended up replacing the compressor, receiver/drier, and expansion valve; as well as generously flushing the system with a solvent designed for air conditioner systems...added the appropriate amounts of oil to the new and flushed components and replaced all O-rings on components that were removed. I then took the took the car to a shop and had them run a vacuum on the system to leak check and remove moisture and then charge it.

The system worked well for about a week and a half...but now, it cools, but not very much...it was getting down into the low 50's/upper 40's....now it doesn't want to get below 60-70 degress. I have also noticed a hissing coming from the area where the expansion valve/evaporator is located...it does this while the A/C is running and hisses for a few seconds after shutdown. The system is holding a charge, so I know that leakage is not an issue (have checked is several times and pressure on the Low Side has remain unchanged...I do not have a gauge set for checking both High and Low Pressures).

So, now I am wondering if there may have been some debris that did not get flushed which has now made it to the new expansion valve and partially restricted it? :banghead:

I am debating leaving it as is for now, but once the weather cools down (or the A/C doesn't cool sufficiently), pulling the system back down and removing the new expansion valve to check for obstructions and cleaning it if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thoughts?

Add your comment to this topic!