Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'98 repeating electrical problem (fuel line)

mavin_03
07-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Hey, I'm hoping someone can do better than the garage did with this problem.
I bought a '98 Cavalier in May and two weeks later she cut out while I was driving and wouldn't start again. From there I got it towed to a garage, I was told it was the fuel pump and it got replaced.
The day I went to pick it up I hadn't had it back for 2 hours and the same thing happened again. The garage determined it was because of a faulty fuel pump. It got replaced.
The next time I picked it up the same thing happened yet again in less than an hour so once again it got towed back to the garage.
I was told it had to be a short circuit somewhere in the fuel line and that he would trace the wires to find the ground. In total he had the car for a couple days short of 8 weeks before claiming it had been related to the wiring from the engine harness, which was then replaced.
I left again with the car, only for it to do the same thing again. This time I bought some spare fuses to try and drive it back to my driveway and on the way she shut off again. From then on, she blows the fuse while trying to turn over without ever starting.
If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Apparently the fuel injector and fuel pump have been connected on seperate lines (I think I mean relay here, not sure about the termonology).

Thanks

J-Ri
07-23-2009, 05:22 PM
1) Don't ever take it back to any of the garages you took it to!

2) It should be a very easy fix, which is the reason for #1

3) Unless one of the shops F-ed with it, there is one fuse that goes to the fuel pump and injectors, the wire goes from the fuse, through the relay, and then through a splice to the injector supply and the fuel pump. Since the engine harness was replaced, that means the short has to be in the wire to the fuel pump. Get a wiring diagram, find the splice, and run a new wire from the splice to the rear where the fuel pump harness connector goes through the body. I've never had to follow the wires through the car, but you'll probably have to remove the carpet, front seat(s) and probably the rear lower seat cushion.

Add your comment to this topic!