Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My brake lights dont work.

zann121
07-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi,

All 3 of my brake lights stopped working. When i checked the fuse and replaced it. Now everytime i press on the brake the fuse burns. i tried over 4-5 fuses and they all burnt one after the other. Could it be a problem with the brake light switch? i checked for any short but i didnt seem to find any. please help me. thank you

Copytech99
07-16-2009, 07:48 AM
You have a short, The fact that the fuse opens when you step on the brake indicates the short is in the line after the brake switch. (between the output of the switch and the bulbs)

Do you own a meter with an Ohms setting ??

What make and model vehicle ??

zann121
07-16-2009, 01:04 PM
I have an 1998 Honda accord SEDAN . What should i exactly do now?

Copytech99
07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
You will need to identify the wire color used for the brake light circuit ( I had a factory manual on CD and it is missing)

You will then need to bare some insulation from that wire or use a sharp meter probe to pierce the insulation near one of the bulbs and see if a dead short is present on that line( It will read 0-1or2 Ohms resistance with reference to ground)

Has any work been done recent ?? Changing of bulbs in rear ??

Copytech99
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM
The wire color for the brake circuit after the switch appears to be GREEN/WHITE.

It may be easier to remove all 3 brake bulbs, The resistance of the 3 in parallel will be quite low with them in place.

Add your comment to this topic!