Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should my rear shocks have some damping effect before I turn the key on? 2000 w/ALC

warsaw2000
07-14-2009, 02:30 AM
I bought a 2000 LeSabre a few weeks ago. I think I might need new shocks because the ride just doesn't feel right. After the car has been sitting for awhile, if I push down on the rear of the car and release, it bounces up and down several times. Once I turn the key on, and the ALC pump does its thing, the read end seems to firm up a bit.

Should the rear shocks absorb the bounce even before the pump cycles? Are the air bladders used only to raise and lower height? Or do they have an affect on dampening as well?

maxwedge
07-14-2009, 06:11 AM
Welcome to AF, yes the rear shocks do not depend on air in the bellows to dampen, they are bad.

warsaw2000
07-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I replaced the rear shocks and the ride improved a lot. I don't know if the struts are bad or not...time will tell I suppose.

Rasp
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Just curious what kind of shocks did you purchase?

I also am going to replace mine. I bought the munroe Max air shocks. Really only option around here. I phoned many different shops and they are the only ones.

The reason I'm replacing mine is I have an air leak in my shocks.

warsaw2000
07-18-2009, 02:08 AM
Just curious what kind of shocks did you purchase?

I also am going to replace mine. I bought the munroe Max air shocks. Really only option around here. I phoned many different shops and they are the only ones.

The reason I'm replacing mine is I have an air leak in my shocks.

I bought the same shocks that you are talking about.

Jrs3800
07-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Some like the Monroe Max Air some don't...

They seem to be stiffer than the stock units, and for me personally I like the car to ride firm..

Rasp
07-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Well I'll let you know how they feel when I install them. I'm hoping to work on them in the next day or so.

Robdaparamedic
07-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I changed mine with Monroe SensaTrac or something close and had no problem. BUT, what I did have a problem with is those little 10mm bolts/clips. I replaced them with shorter bolts and lock nuts and I'm able to sleep at night. My father had a problem with his and the shocks were compressing too much and hitting those bolts. I don't know what brand they were but they weren't Monroe.

Rob

Rasp
07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Well I finally had time to put the shocks on the car. They seem to have firmed things up a bit. I would expect that with any new shock. The old ones had cracks in the rubber boots and I guess that would be where the air was being let out.

Add your comment to this topic!