Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 impala dies going down the road

scottycameron
07-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Hello all, i have a 2000 impala with a 3.8 motor, 134,000 miles. I'm driving along and the thing just dies. Has happened four times in the last 2 weeks. When it dies it doesn't give any code in the message center, i pull over to the side of the road and shut the key off and usually it took 3 cranks to fire back up. I just put a new fuel filter and a $400 ac/delco fuel pump in 3 days ago, thinking that might be the trouble. Well it wasn't the problem, i pulled over today after it died and it started the first time but i don't know what's causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

wheelman1917
07-13-2009, 07:25 AM
No codes sound like Ignition module under coil pack .Possible cranks sensor but that should flip a code.

maxwedge
07-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Many things can cause this, including the ign switch, if it only happens on decel there are several possibilities.

scottycameron
07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info first off. The car don't seem to matter if it decel's. The first couple times it was going down the highway with the cruise control on. Usually dosen't happen on decel. It seems to be doing it more regularly now. Happend last night and again today, both times i was on the move, not to say i had my foot in it but was going about 35 in town a steady speed and it did it as well as it did with the cruise control on! Thanks again for any info.

billcar2
07-13-2009, 05:44 PM
my daughters 91 toronando has identical problem. usually dies @ a light or while driving, always starts after a couple of minutes!

scottycameron
07-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Tonight i took the coil packs off and took the ignition module to our napa and it passed all the DIS test's twice. While i was doing that i noticed the positive battery cable was corroded bad, (couldn't even get the side post bolt to budge) yep ended up breaking it off, lol. So now i have a new bolt, and new battery in the car. What next fella's. The battery boot that covers both wires, my buddy was tapping on it and blue corrosion just kept coming out (was bad) needed replaced anyways. Any more idea's are greatly appreciated. Thanks again

wheelman1917
07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Does the failure happen cold or hot. Electrical components fail most when hot . ohms test the crank sensor 700-1300 ohms . more info is always good.

scottycameron
07-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Seems like it does it when the motor is cold, it usually does it between 3-15 minutes of starting the car after setting.

scottycameron
07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
wheelman you could be right! My engine light come on and i plugged in my computer and 0336 came up which is crankshaft position sensor A ckt Range/perf, them a pain to change? called on the part it was like 40 bucks which isn't bad. Thanks again to all! Might tackle it next week and see if that fixes the problem

Add your comment to this topic!