Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Knock? Tick? WHAT?!?!

DamnRam1500
07-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Whats up everybody... I usually look around all the threads on here before asking, but I want to make sure that the question is taylored to my issue, and my problem. I think I already know the answer, but I need all the suggestions I can get.

Ok... A few weeks ago on my way home from a couple hundred miles away, I pulled up to a gas station 1/4 the trip in, and heard a tick/knock pretty loudly coming from underneath the hood. I checked the oil, perfect... I checked everything else and it was ok. The truck was not running badly what so ever... I just heard this noise. I put an oil additive in and ran it all the way home... no change.

Since that point I have...

1) Done a tune up
2) Had the valve cover off, replaced the push rods (all 6 in the side where the noise is)
3) Checked that NO noise is coming from the other side of the engine, telling me that it is NOT a rod.
4) Checked oil pressure (OK)
5) Checked Vacuum

I am going to be doing an oil change tomorrow... I am also going to clean out the system.

What I THINK the issue is now, are the lifters... and if that is what you think too, then...

1) Is there any way to determine if the lifters are bad w/o removing the block?
2) Is there any way that I can try to repair the lifter w/o removing it... Any idea that products could help out?

I am hard of hearing and when I hear this noise I swear that it is coming from under the valve cover... BUT it almost sounds like it could be coming from one of the pulleys... What on the pulleys could cause that noise? Anything?

Anyways... if you have any questions, Im here... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

-- I have been a part of this website for a long time... I forgot my password on my other account and this website says that it emails it to you... and never does.

THANK YOU!!!

redbovine
07-16-2009, 06:34 AM
before you speand too much more money, you could find a mechanic that has an automotive stethoscope (kind of like doctors use). We have one in the shop I work at and use it to find problems with truck motors. It would help diagnose the problem without much problem.

DamnRam1500
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey! Thank you for your reply... Unfortunately I already have a stethescope for that, and I originally located the noise on the drivers side of the engine, but since I did the oil change, I ran some sea foam along with 5w-30 oil to see if I could free up the lifter, however the noise is a lot louder (lighter weight oil... I know) and the noise seems to be coming from everywhere... SOOOOOO Im still stuck! Thank you!!!

rodney1c
05-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Did you ever figure out what caused the knock / Tick? I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 v10 and I am getting a knock/tick from the right side "passenger side" its loud and I have changed lifters and a couple rods. still have the noise after all this. I am pretty fustrated and have no idea why this happened? I am hoping you have some resolution for yours that I could apply to mine?

Thanks!

Rod
209-640-1643

Add your comment to this topic!