timing cover coolant leak

BobbyBeans
07-12-2009, 12:45 AM
I have a coolant leak in my 3.3l 2000 grand caravan. The dealer did a coolant pressure test found the leak is at the timing cover. They wanted $1000 to fix it and a balked. Does anyone have a procedure on how to fix this myself? Is this covered on a Haynes or Chilton book?

Thanks
-Bob

Spit
07-17-2009, 04:16 PM
As I recall pullling everything you need to pull on a 3.3 or 3.8 to replace the timing cover gasket is a huge job. I do believe that it is covered in Haynes...you may need to pull the engine to get to it.

Spit

Spit
07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
my 97 GC with a 3.3 seems to have a very slight coolant leak at the lower intake manifold gasket...I have the parts and I'm going to do it some day. This leak is on the passenger side front and leaks down from the manifold into the groove between the engine block and the valve cover.

I think that I leak oil from the timing chain cover...I'm not sure that any coolant should be restrained by the timing cover/gasket, I 'm thinking "how does coolant get into this area at all"? The timing chain runs in an oil bath not in coolant bath.

Must be a seal in there somewhere that has failed.

Does anyone else think it's odd that coolant is making it's way into the timing chain area?

Spit

BobbyBeans
07-17-2009, 08:07 PM
my 97 GC with a 3.3 seems to have a very slight coolant leak at the lower intake manifold gasket...I have the parts and I'm going to do it some day. This leak is on the passenger side front and leaks down from the manifold into the groove between the engine block and the valve cover.

I think that I leak oil from the timing chain cover...I'm not sure that any coolant should be restrained by the timing cover/gasket, I 'm thinking "how does coolant get into this area at all"? The timing chain runs in an oil bath not in coolant bath.

Must be a seal in there somewhere that has failed.

Does anyone else think it's odd that coolant is making it's way into the timing chain area?

Spit
I agree it does need odd but that is what the dealer told me. They told me that back behind the timing chain cover there are separate compartments. One compartment has a separate gasket with coolant behind it and the other compartment is the oil bath for the actual timing chain. So it is apparently possible to be leaking coolant from this area and for that coolant to totally avoid the motor oil chamber and this does seem to be the case since there is or evidence that coolant is entering the motor oil.

Well, anyway this is what the dealer told me. I'm a rookie mechanic so I don't know better (yet:smile:).

Thanks
-bob

jpb53
07-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Get yourself a manual, or access the online manuals. The timing chain cover houses the water pump and the oil pump. It is sealed to the block by a gasket and o-rings. The oil pick-up tube is also bolted to it. The oil pan has to come off also.

plymouthsrock
07-21-2009, 09:04 PM
And make sure it's not the water pump- mine (3.8 engine) leaked and it sure looked like the timing cover was leaking.

Add your comment to this topic!