Buying a Rental Car, Dilemma!

CraiginSC
07-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm looking to purchase a Ford Fusion, or Chevy Impala. Today while test driving, I really enjoyed driving the Impala. It felt like it had a better ride, and just more quality over all. I found a good one for a great price, however it was a prior rental car. Now I don't have anything against it at all, and as it seems that in my area a lot of GM vehicles are prior rental/fleet vehicles. It is GM Certified, with 36,000 miles on it currently. It has some minor scratches which they said they'd fix, along with some interior defects, which just needs a good detailing. That's not what worries me, here is my dilemma. Tonight I went to look at it again and my father who is a mechanic noticed that underneath the bumper, the parts which hold it onto the body are normally black when compared to other Impalas. Well it looks as if they had been spray painted over, and the screws as well. This is a red light as if some type of accident may have taken place, and rental vehicles have there own way of insurance so it doesn't have to be on the CarFax. It doesn't look like it was anything serious, but it still is scary. I really like the vehicle and it drives well! There seems to be no problems, but should I just completely stay away and keep lookin? Thank you!

oldblu65
07-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Craig , buying any used (or new for that matter ) car is a gamble whether it's previous life was as a rental car ? Most of the major rental companies try to keep their cars in good shape . Their reputations depend heavily on the customers experience with the cars and the service they receive . That doesn't mean you'll never meet a shady person working at one of these establishments ! That person is the thing you have to worry about . Having said that , you could pay a nominal fee to have a qualified body man to look at the car for you and give their opinion . Good luck and keep us updated on you direction .

Zrayner
07-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Hell I say even if it has been in an accident if its mechanically sound screw it. Buy the car if it runs right, if you can prove it was in an accident try and get them to come down further on the price. Other than that I would buy it.

trim250
08-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Not saying rental cars are bad, but consider the worst. ask to see service records and inspect it. Im not saying all but most people dont take care of the rental car. Good it comes with warranty

Add your comment to this topic!