Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Cavalier shimmy at Highway speed

dcalton51
07-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Hello,
I bought a 95 Cavalier with 185k on it. The car runs great but has a shimmy at highway speeds. The two rear tires were in bad shape and I assumed they were separated. I have replaced the tires and have had all four tires balanced. I also recently replaced the passenger side front wheel bearing. The car continues to shake at hwy speed (65+).
I noticed even after changing the wheel bearing that the front passenger wheel has about 1/2 of horizontal play. I also hear a popping at low speed turns. When riding in the car it feels like the source of the shaking is the front passenger side. I can only figure it to be the CV or some sort of linkage.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your time.

Smythers00
07-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Hiya,

According to my books here, possible explanations for such vibrations are:

1. Rough Wheel Bearing (Looks like you took care of that one)
2. Damaged Drive Axle
3. Out-of-round tires (That would stick out like a sore thumb)
4. Tires out of balance (Dealt with this issue)
5. Worn CV joint

You might want to look at the Drive Axle and CV joints.

I'm guessing it's a problem with your CV joint. Check the CV boots for cracks/tears both at the tire (outer CV boot) and the inner boot at the opposite end of the drive axle. A dead giveaway is grease stains or wet spots on the inside of the tire rim, the fender splash guard and car frame near the CV joint as centrifugal force would throw all the CV lubricant out of the joint.

Hope that helps out.

Add your comment to this topic!