Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which airbrush out of these 3? Help needed!

jano11
07-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Hello everyone,

I decided to get my first airbrush and managed to bring the number of candidates down to these three:

1. Mr.Hobby GSI 0.5mm Procon Boy LWA Trigger-Type Double-Action Airbrush

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10041007

2. Tamiya SPRAY-WORK HG AIRBRUSH Wide (Trigger type)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10053904

3. Iwata Revolution TR2 airbrush

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=23&products_id=968

I choose these for the ease of use and the bigger paint cup that comes with.

The Iwata is favorite because of the side feed cup that can be rotated and thus allowing for different airbrushing positions.

The Mr. Hobby one come with 2 different nozzles allowing for a round and for an elliptical spray pattern.

The Tamiya has nothing special, maybe the pistol grip.

As I never used any of them, I would like, if possible, to have the opinion of those who have experienced any of these airbrushes.

Thanks you in advance for your help. Your input is very much appreciated. :)

MidMazar
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I would go with iwata, hobby, then tamiya last.

I have a iwata cr and love it, its a fixed cup. Only problem you might have with your iwata is a couple more parts to clean when done.

gionc
07-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Jano I got the revo TR2, has 0.5 mm needle and trigger, it's awesome but I wouldn't reccomend like only aero.... I use mainly with 2K or tricky acryl. BTW is just great.

If I can advice I'll spend a word for the HP-CS or better for the HP-C plus, and the TR2 is awesome like 2nd gun.

jano11
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Jano I got the revo TR2, has 0.5 mm needle and trigger, it's awesome but I wouldn't reccomend like only aero.... I use mainly with 2K or tricky acryl. BTW is just great.

If I can advice I'll spend a word for the HP-CS or better for the HP-C plus, and the TR2 is awesome like 2nd gun.

Hi Gio, thanks for your advice.
Why wouldn't you recommend the TR2 as only aero? Good you please tell me why you need another airbrush?!

I took a few other airbrushes in hand and I just don't feel comfortable with the small on top trigger.

I need it mainly for painting the bodies, mainly automotive paints, but it also can spray a narrow pattern with it, or am I mistaken?

Tervo
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Good you please tell me why you need another airbrush?!
I need it mainly for painting the bodies, mainly automotive paints, but it also can spray a narrow pattern with it, or am I mistaken?

Only two brushes? I use constantly three of them. I paint and clearcoat bodies with a Sparmax which has 0.5mm nozzle, all Alclad and enamel detail painting is done with another Sparmax with 0.2mm nozzle, and detail painting with acrylics is done with a PremiAir and 0.35 nozzle.
The cost of those three brushes was less than an Iwata (Sparmaxes from LuckyModel, PremiAir from Hiroboy). I also own an Iwata HP-C and an Aztek, but they are seldom used.
It is true, that you could do detail painting with a larger nozzle brush, but cleaning of that 0.2mm Sparmax is a breeze compared with the larger one.

jano11
07-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Buying 2 or 3 airbrushes right now is out of question. I need to make a decision about which of these 3 I'll get.

Until now I think that the Tamiya is out as it's as expensive as the other two but is not up there in terms of potential with the Iwata and the Procon.

Twowheelsrule
07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi Gio, thanks for your advice.
Why wouldn't you recommend the TR2 as only aero? Good you please tell me why you need another airbrush?!

I took a few other airbrushes in hand and I just don't feel comfortable with the small on top trigger.

From my experience, the .5 needle of the TR is good for painting the bodies but, a .3 or smaller needle is better for making heat stains on exhaust or doing shading. You can sometimes fit other Iwata tips and needles in other airbrushes though.

TW

TW

jano11
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM
From my experience, the .5 needle of the TR is good for painting the bodies but, a .3 or smaller needle is better for making heat stains on exhaust or doing shading. You can sometimes fit other Iwata tips and needles in other airbrushes though.

TW

That would be the best solution. :thumbsup:

I did think about asking if the TR1 nozzle and needle (0.3mm) are compatible with the TR2 (0.5 mm).
Does anyone knows if this is the case?
It would be great if I could have this airbrush with both 0.3 and 0.5 nozzle without paying twice as much. :)

stevenoble
07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Until now I think that the Tamiya is out as it's as expensive as the other two but is not up there in terms of potential with the Iwata and the Procon.

I wouldn't overlook the Tamiya, they are made by Iwata, so the quality is just as good. I've had my Tamiya HG Wide for over 3 years and used all sorts of paints in it and it's never let me down once. All it needs is flushing through after use with some lacquer thinner and its as good as new. If you are looking for a reliable brush to paint and clear body parts and such, it really is a fantastic airbrush. It can also spray a pencil line thickness with properly thinned paints, so it's pretty versatile as well. Certainly worth serious consideration in my opinion.......

jano11
07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't overlook the Tamiya, they are made by Iwata, so the quality is just as good. I've had my Tamiya HG Wide for over 3 years and used all sorts of paints in it and it's never let me down once. All it needs is flushing through after use with some lacquer thinner and its as good as new. If you are looking for a reliable brush to paint and clear body parts and such, it really is a fantastic airbrush. It can also spray a pencil line thickness with properly thinned paints, so it's pretty versatile as well. Certainly worth serious consideration in my opinion.......

Thank you very much for your input Steve, I knew you used a trigger type Tamiya airbrush and was looking forward to hear your opinion.

The reason I think Tamiya is the weakest of the 3, all of them said to be produced by the same company so about the same quality, is that it's as expensive as the others and doesn't offer everything the other two offer like the side feed from Iwata and the 2 different nozzles from the Procon.

Do the Tamiya and Procon airbrushes come with a warranty? I couldn't find much about this.
I know that Iwata offers a 5 years warranty on part other than nozzle and needle, which by the way will be the ones that will need changing.

Also for which one is easier to get replacement parts, nozzle and needle, if needed?

It isn't easy to chose given that these 3 airbrushes are produced by the same company and are more or less the same airbrush with the same quality and painting capabilities.

I guess it will come down to which one I manage to buy cheaper even if I have a penchant for the Iwata.

stevenoble
07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I think the Iwata warranty and spare parts availability is a real plus point. Luckily I've never needed to get any spare parts for my Tamiya HG but I dare say they would be tricky to get hold of in a hurry...?? You can't argue with the 5 year warranty offered by Iwata. I don't fully understand your thinking with regard to the side mounted cup..??? I don't see what advantage, if any, it offers over the top mounted cup on the Tamiya HG, which can almost be tipped upside down without spillage as the lid seals to the cup very securely. Maybe you can swop the cup from one side to the other to cater for left or right handed people..?? If I was buying another airbrush though I would probably plump for the Iwata as well. Reason being the 5 year warranty and the spare parts and service back up, not because the Tamiya under performs in any way, because it is a very good brush in it's own right.
The Iwata TR is an excellent brush and very comfortable as well. I think you could probably purchase the smaller needle and tip/nozzle assembly and swop between the 0.3 and 0.5 sizes to suit most applications and have the 'best of both worlds'
If I was very rich I would have one airbrush for clear coat only, one for metallics only, one purely for white paint only and one for all the 'other' colours, it would be nice if only I could afford them all....:lol:
Hope you enjoy your new brush whichever you end up getting, but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the 3 you have shortlisted as they are all 'worthy' brushes in their own right.

Twowheelsrule
07-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Jano, I saw that you are from Vienna so this may not be much help but, here is where I have purchased 2 of my airbrushes and have received good customer service. They sell all the major brands of airbrushes
http://www.dixieart.com they are from New Orleans, LA.

I have bought paint from this one but, have never called them before... http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot

At least it can help you see what is available,
TW

imr.dirtcars
07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
I use an Iwata Eclipse Siphon Feed airbrush and love it. (so i vote for the Iwata)

One other little tid-bit that may come in handy if you want more coverage..

On my Iwata.. when i want extra paint moved.. i loosen the holder screw that keeps the needle in-place.. and move the needle back just a little bit.. and tighten it back up.

It makes the airbrush move more paint then when it's in its standard position.

Think about a siphon feed airbrush for a moment before making your decision.. you won't have to worry at all about the orientation of the airbrush while you paint.. and no spills as a result.

nakadds
07-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Between the three, I would also get the Iwata. Not that I don't like tamiya or Gunze stuff. I have 5 iwata airbrushes and never had any problems. I've only had to replace a needle once and it was my fault not the manufacturer's. Not sure I would get the TR as my only airbrush. But you what, just get the TR and enjoy it. And then later on you can get another one for small detail...then one for clearcoats...etc...etc. It won't be the last one so don't lose sleep trying to decide which one. I'm not sure about the prices in Europe, but in the US for the price of a TR you can get 3 revolution CR which mean you can have one for metallic paint, one for regular paint and one for clearcoats.

jano11
07-09-2009, 01:31 AM
I think the Iwata warranty and spare parts availability is a real plus point. Luckily I've never needed to get any spare parts for my Tamiya HG but I dare say they would be tricky to get hold of in a hurry...?? You can't argue with the 5 year warranty offered by Iwata. I don't fully understand your thinking with regard to the side mounted cup..??? I don't see what advantage, if any, it offers over the top mounted cup on the Tamiya HG, which can almost be tipped upside down without spillage as the lid seals to the cup very securely. Maybe you can swop the cup from one side to the other to cater for left or right handed people..?? If I was buying another airbrush though I would probably plump for the Iwata as well. Reason being the 5 year warranty and the spare parts and service back up, not because the Tamiya under performs in any way, because it is a very good brush in it's own right.
The Iwata TR is an excellent brush and very comfortable as well. I think you could probably purchase the smaller needle and tip/nozzle assembly and swop between the 0.3 and 0.5 sizes to suit most applications and have the 'best of both worlds'
If I was very rich I would have one airbrush for clear coat only, one for metallics only, one purely for white paint only and one for all the 'other' colours, it would be nice if only I could afford them all....:lol:
Hope you enjoy your new brush whichever you end up getting, but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the 3 you have shortlisted as they are all 'worthy' brushes in their own right.

Same problem here, I can't afford to buy to many of them at the same time! :D

I'll probably get the Iwata TR2 + the TR1 nozzle and needle and see if it fits, + maybe a smaller cup for detail work even if it isn't really a must.

Jano, I saw that you are from Vienna so this may not be much help but, here is where I have purchased 2 of my airbrushes and have received good customer service. They sell all the major brands of airbrushes
http://www.dixieart.com (http://www.dixieart.com/) they are from New Orleans, LA.

I have bought paint from this one but, have never called them before... http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot

At least it can help you see what is available,
TW

Thanks for the links. It would be great if I lived in a country without import taxes but sadly even if I buy the airbrush in Japan from HLJ for 120 Euros + Shipping, once the import taxes are added it costs as much as when I buy it in the UK, so no use to import it.

I use an Iwata Eclipse Siphon Feed airbrush and love it. (so i vote for the Iwata)

One other little tid-bit that may come in handy if you want more coverage..

On my Iwata.. when i want extra paint moved.. i loosen the holder screw that keeps the needle in-place.. and move the needle back just a little bit.. and tighten it back up.

It makes the airbrush move more paint then when it's in its standard position.

Think about a siphon feed airbrush for a moment before making your decision.. you won't have to worry at all about the orientation of the airbrush while you paint.. and no spills as a result.

Thanks for your help. Siphon feed wouldn't be bad if it had a gun like trigger, but alas I didn't see any.

Between the three, I would also get the Iwata. Not that I don't like tamiya or Gunze stuff. I have 5 iwata airbrushes and never had any problems. I've only had to replace a needle once and it was my fault not the manufacturer's. Not sure I would get the TR as my only airbrush. But you what, just get the TR and enjoy it. And then later on you can get another one for small detail...then one for clearcoats...etc...etc. It won't be the last one so don't lose sleep trying to decide which one. I'm not sure about the prices in Europe, but in the US for the price of a TR you can get 3 revolution CR which mean you can have one for metallic paint, one for regular paint and one for clearcoats.

In Europe I would only buy 2 CR airbrushes for the TR2 price.

Thanks again to all of you for your valuable input. :)

Tibi Keke
07-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Hi Jano, I already send you a PM. The most importent thing is spare part service! I mean if you have some problems becouse of damaged parts ( that could happen when you work, sometimes !) is importent to know if you could by spare parts. I think your best choice will be Iwata or Tamiya HG. The only thing i don't like at Iwata is the missing grip.
My airbrush is this : BD 116 C made in China but looks very similar to Tamiya or Iwata.
http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userImages/2008-10/30/fenghuabida$182258432%28s%29.jpg

and i still need to learn to work with him!
But my first impression is good!
regards,

klutz_100
07-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Hi Ioan,
I don't know what decision you made in the end but I'd still go with the Iwata CR :D
Isn't the TR simply a CR with a larger cup and trigger instead of button? They are both 0,5 needles and IMHO you will find the design of the push-button CR much more comfortable for more detailed painting when you want to get closer and have more control on air/paint flow. Just my 2cents ;)

Add your comment to this topic!