4 Runner Brake Squeak

egreen04
07-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Should I be concerned w/ a brake squeak/squeal I hear when my 2000, 4 Runner comes to a stop?

jdmccright
07-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Squealing brakes is a sign that they are due to be serviced, though it may not always mean new pads/shoes. Dics brake pads have a metal tab that will contact the disc and make a squealing sound when the pad is nearly used up (usually ~30k miles). The squealing could be that your pads are ready for replacement. However, if you know you have changed them recently, they may need to be rechecked and/or have some anti-squeal compound added to the backing...basically a rubbery glue to keep them in place and silence the squeals. If you hear the squealing constantly, you may have a problem with one of the brake calipers not sliding freely on the mounting pins or the brake piston itself is sticking.

Ont he side, brake drums (found on the rear axles of trucks, SUVs, and older cars) use shoes that don't have this feature, but they tend to wear out more slowly than the front brakes because they only handle about 30% of the stopping loads. However, whenever you check the front brakes you should also check the rears and replace them when they are getting low. Worn out shoes will ruin the drums with no warning.

Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!