2000 Jeep Wrangler camshaft position sensor

nabates
07-05-2009, 11:41 AM
My 2000 Wrangler is having consistent problems with the camshaft position sensor. It will throw a check engine code. when it fails the motor turns over but does not fire. I can replace the unit and it will work for a short time then it does it again. sometimes I can simply clean the unit and it will fire and work for awhile again. It seems to fail more when the engine is worked for long periods of time. Anybody have similar problems and possible solutions.

Airjer_
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Whats the code?

nabates
07-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Not sure the number the diagnostic tool just tells me the camshaft position sensor

Airjer_
07-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Having the specific code would help. If I remember right there are a couple jeep/chrysler codes that can go either way on the crank or cam sensor being bad. When it doesn't start have you checked for signal out of the crank sensor. Far more common for the crank sensors to go bad than the cam sensors.

If the scan tool isn't giving you a code throw it away, its doing you no good!!

nabates
07-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Im sure the scanner did have codes i borrowed one from autozone and just didnt see them. i will try to get it up there and rescan it.

nabates
07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
The codes are as follows

P0340
PO353
PO352
PO351
P1391

I went ahead and replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The jeep ran great until it got warm again then now its worse than before. Could the CPS cause the ignition coil codes?

fredjacksonsan
07-18-2009, 07:40 AM
I'll hazard a guess that the "Until it gets warm" is the key. That's when it switches over from warmup to normal mode. I'm not sure which sensors are involved but I've heard of this before. I'll see if I can find the thread and will post it up if I do.

rhandwor
07-18-2009, 08:03 AM
I would check the plug closely a bad fit or bad wire will cause all types of problems. Also check the computer ground and make sure its clean and tight.

xj31
07-21-2009, 08:35 PM
If its not timed right you will get all those codes.The p0351,p0352 and p0353 are for the coil primary circuits but somehow those get set if the oil pump drive is not lined up right.That is the part the cam sensor bolts to. I have seen them seize and the gear gets broken,but then you get no oil pressure.I have also seen them turn by themselves and then it is a few degrees off.If you look where the clamp for the oil pump drive is,see if there are any marks on it like it moved.I bet thats the problem.The way to time it is with a drb there is something called set sync that needs to be done.I don't know but i would guess other scan tools would be able to do it also

hjcopeland
09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
My 2000 Wrangler is having consistent problems with the camshaft position sensor. It will throw a check engine code. when it fails the motor turns over but does not fire. I can replace the unit and it will work for a short time then it does it again. sometimes I can simply clean the unit and it will fire and work for awhile again. It seems to fail more when the engine is worked for long periods of time. Anybody have similar problems and possible solutions.

I'm sure (I hope!) you've fixed this by now. But I had a similar problem and narrowed it down to the cam sensor (aka distrubutor pickup). Replaced it, ran for a couple of hours, then problem returned.

When I went to replace it a second time, I realized my distributor shaft was loose and "wobbling". Apparently the upper bushing can go bad in the distributor, making it throw out all kinds of codes.

To check it, pop off the distributor cap and see if the shaft is tight when you try to wiggle it left and right. If its loose, it's most likely bad.

I replaced the entire distributor (which wasn't much more expensive than replacing just the pickup) and haven't had a problem since.

Hope that helps someone...

Add your comment to this topic!