Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I'm stuck again...

G0ldRush
07-03-2009, 06:53 PM
I mesured my cylinder and the standard is 4.00 inc now its 4.031 i will have to go with bigger pistons and rings. I was thinking just re-honing the cylinder and buy some .030 oversize piston and ring but before that I might check the ring end gap it should be less then.020 and more then .o10 what do you think6 i dont want to take the engine out again the cylinder are not out of round and not scratched well what is your point

Thank

toddman67
07-03-2009, 08:35 PM
The only way to be sure would be to check the ring end gap at different intervals down in the cylinder. Start at the top and use the old piston to push the ring down at 1/4" intervals checking the gap all the way down. Unless the cylinder was bored before it sounds unlikely that the whole cylinder would wear .030".
Check the other cylinders as well. You don't want to keep pulling this thing a part. Perhaps it time for a short block?

G0ldRush
07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
The only way to be sure would be to check the ring end gap at different intervals down in the cylinder. Start at the top and use the old piston to push the ring down at 1/4" intervals checking the gap all the way down. Unless the cylinder was bored before it sounds unlikely that the whole cylinder would wear .030".
Check the other cylinders as well. You don't want to keep pulling this thing a part. Perhaps it time for a short block?
Todd all the other cylinder has between 152 and 178 psi only that number 8 had this low 90 psi with wet test and the second broken ring! I bopught a standard piston today with new rings seems better then nothing??

toddman67
07-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Well I certainly hope it all works out for you. You have had quite a challange with this engine. Pretty soon you will have a zipper on this thing! Good luck.
Todd

G0ldRush
07-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Well I certainly hope it all works out for you. You have had quite a challange with this engine. Pretty soon you will have a zipper on this thing! Good luck.
Todd

Thganks again TODD apreciate your comment, well today I removed the pin from the old piston, what a job, I used a big table vice but before I had to cut the old piston beside the pin so I had only the pin and the rod in hand, then i cut off the pin about 3/4 inches each side on the rod and put a big socket over one side and a smaller the other side same size of the pin. I put everything in the vice and started slowly and it came offf after 10 minutes of hard working without damaging the rod, I'M proud of me, this afternoon I will go to a shop to put the new piston pin on the old rod, they have to heat it I dont want to do this its a professionnal job I think, well thjink going good today.

G0ldRush
07-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Todd
I put in a new standard piston with new ring on cylinder number 8 first compression check i'm getting 130 psi, then wet test get up to 180 psi , so I guess when the new ring will be seated it will go up between 150 and 180 that's not bad. I have few things to do before the real start, chek all vacuum line, electrical connection,hose clamp,install fan , alterntor, belt, and conneting the pipe to the exhaust manifold. Pour in somefrsh oil and new filter and at last the coolantI'm little anxiousfor tomorrow butI'm glad that the piston number 8 is 1005 better then it was with a broken ring. So so so mechanics is mechanics.

toddman67
07-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Hopefully no slap like the other. #s sound good so far.

G0ldRush
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Hopefully no slap like the other. #s sound good so far.
Finally everything was put together, and you know what? the van is running like it was when it came out of the ford factory.I'm so happy I did a pretty good job on it. So thanks everyone for your help and see you agin.

Add your comment to this topic!