Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"97 Cavalier 2.2 slow start, & code 440 issues

beudean
07-03-2009, 02:50 PM
I have 2 problems on my sisters '98 Cavalier 2.2 with 95k miles. She wants to sell the car and I'm trying to make the repairs for her w/o having to buy a manual.

(A) The engine turns over fine, but it takes 5-10 seconds of cranking to get the engine to start after it has set for more than 15 minutes. Otherwise it starts right up once started the 1st time. I suspect low fuel pressure. What is the fuel pressure spec for this engine, and where is the test port for the pressure gauge located? I have the screw on type fuel pressure gauge.

(B) I have a code 440....Evap. emissions system. Where is the charcoal canister located, and where are the vacuum hoses routed to it? Gas cap seems to be OK, although it does seem easier to click than my Impala when tightening it. Could one condition cause both problems?

Smythers00
07-10-2009, 04:38 PM
My friend, you have a Vacuum leak causing both of those problems. I've had this happen to me too. Check all of your vacuum lines first before you bother with testing for fuel pressure.

Code p0440 (for the '97 2.2 pontiac engine) notes that the EVAP emissions system is failing to hold sufficient vacuum.

The charcoal canister is located under the right fender. You'll need to take off the fender's splash guard and possible the tire to access it properly.

Hope that helps out.

beudean
07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the info, Smythers. I just sold the car (as-is) to my son's friend and I'll pass this on to him. He was thinking the plugs needed replacing since they are the originals. With 95k miles on them, they need replacing whether that is the problem or not.

Add your comment to this topic!