Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Cav - Switch from non cruise to cruise?

db46062
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi Everyone

I have a 99 cavalier and had to change the famous turn signal switch because my brake lights were not working...they work fine now with the replacement.

My cav didnt come equipped with cruise but the turn signal switch I got from the junk yard has cruise on it and a 4 pin connector.

Is it possible to convert to cruise with this new junk yard switch? I didnt see a 4 pin connector on the vehicle side but I didnt look real close yet underneath.

Has anyone else done this?

TIA

J-Ri
07-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Possible, yes. You'd have to add every single cruise control piece, and run at least a couple dozen wires. The cruise control is operated by the PCM, so at the very least you'd need to install new terminals in the PCM connector, and then cross your fingers and hope that a non-cruise PCM has the programming for cruise control.

If you want cruise control, it would be much easier to install an aftermarket kit. I did a quick Google search for "add cruise control". http://www.the12volt.com/cruises/cruises.asp Sounds like an easy install, much easier than what you'd be up against trying to add factory cruise control. I have no experience doing this, so I can't suggest a brand, but I would personally go with the one the author of that page uses. They seem to know their stuff with everything else.

Add your comment to this topic!