Looking For Car Under Warranty, What Should I Get?

RicerKid15
07-01-2009, 01:43 AM
I am looking to spend $5-9k on a car. After coming to my senses, I decided to get something with a warranty attached to it. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for this price range. I am looking at getting a 06 Cobalt LT. Any suggestions would be nice. I thought GM offered the 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. I mean I dunno what else comes with a warranty.

'97ventureowner
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
GM didn't start offering their 5 yr/100k warranty until the 2007 model year. If a used vehicle comes with a warranty, the remaining portion may be able to be transferred to the new owner for a small fee. ( This is a good idea to do so citing from personal experience. Back in 1996 my wife and I bought a 1994 Chrysler LHS. The cost was $150 to transfer the unused portion of the warranty to me, for which I paid. About 6 months later the transmission went in it and was replaced under that warranty at no cost to me. The cost of the job would have been over $2500 without the warranty.)
Since many vehicles still have some of their warranty remaining, the best bet would be to scout around some used car dealers and see vehicles in your price range to get an idea of what is available. Then you might be able to choose something you like. I'm sure there are "mega" used car dealerships in your area that aren't brand specific, rather they sell all makes and models. That is a good place to start.
Since we are approaching the end of the model year at the end of summer you might start finding more 2007 model vehicles on the lot that have the longer GM warranty ( like the '07 Cobalt) and prices might start to come down to your price range. Other than that, you might be hard pressed to find an older model vehicle with much of it's original warranty intact.

Zrayner
07-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I am looking to spend $5-9k on a car. After coming to my senses, I decided to get something with a warranty attached to it. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for this price range. I am looking at getting a 06 Cobalt LT. Any suggestions would be nice. I thought GM offered the 5yr/100,000 mile warranty. I mean I dunno what else comes with a warranty.

Is this a daily driver that you'd use to get to and from school/work?
things to consider:

-Do I want to take this car to the track eventually?
-Do I want awesome gas mileage?
-How many people do I want in my car?
-Would I mind having a "plain jane" car?

Add your comment to this topic!