Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 crx wont start

dozer1
06-28-2009, 09:35 PM
I have an 89 crx I inherited 2 years ago when my younger brother passed away and have done lots of work to it the suspension and mechanics on the car are in good condition now . Recently it has been stranded in the drive way with an electrical problem . If you turn the key to on everything powers up but when you turn the key to start all power to the car dies and doesnt return for a while . There are no noises just loss of electrical power throughout . all fuses are good , new cables and terminal ends connected to a new battery . any help or direction would be appreciated the car has 250,000 miles

amy@af
07-03-2009, 12:14 PM
hello oregonian :wave:

it sounds like the ignition to me.

dozer1
07-04-2009, 12:53 AM
thanks but i already replaced the ignition switch does anybody know if the main relay or maybe the main fuse would cause this problem

amy@af
07-06-2009, 10:55 AM
it's not the ignitions switch (tumbler), it's the wires to it.

it is not the main fuse or you wouldn't have power at all. it's not the main relay, when it goes bad you don't lose power at all but rather your car won't start.

ukrkoz
07-25-2009, 09:28 PM
not that i know what i'm talking about, but main relays said to be at fault for this on those years. good luck getting it out, btw.

this should be totally extensive help on main relay issues:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay

dozer1
07-25-2009, 11:23 PM
just fixed the problem today someone had said it could be the starter solenoid so i took and had it tested and it turned out to be good so i again bought new battery cables and sottered new ends on the other wires that connect to the cables and when i put it all back together it starts everytime so i either had a bad connection or a bad ground so thanks everyone for all the information :licka:

ukrkoz
07-26-2009, 10:44 AM
glad you found easy solution. next time, before removing starter, smack it hard few times with hammer wooden handle. usually, that breaks solenoid loose and it works. it's a temp solution, just to check if solenoid is at fault. not really applicable to you, but ....could have saved you time and effort.
1. you have bought those little red and green felt disks, soaked them in thick grease, and put on battery poles, right?(even butter works) as if not, you destined to have same issue about 1-2 yrs down the road. dollar worth expense that saves mucho dinero for years
2. i tried it many times, and i have been soldering every since childhood and i could never solder battery cables to contacts good enough to hold for long time. i'd rather go with contacts that have clamps for cables. pack clamp with dielectric grease, tighten bolts - will hold forever.
anyhow, glad it's all fixed. :rofl:

dozer1
07-26-2009, 02:19 PM
thanks i forgot the felt pads meant to get those and i didnt know about the grease as far as soldering heavy cable i use a propane torch , flux , and a thick gage solder. heat the part to be soldered at the furthest point from sheathing to be soldered and touch the solder at the closest point and the heat will draw the solder to everywhere you applied flux that should give you a solid bond

Add your comment to this topic!