Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starter switch and starter for a 2000 regal

jerry1967
06-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Could someone tell me where the starter switch and the starter is for a 2000 buick regal 3800 engine?

BNaylor
06-27-2009, 04:45 PM
The starter solenoid and starter are located at the left side of the engine (driver's side), bottom where the tranny mates up to the engine. What are your symptoms? Engine not cranking?

jerry1967
06-27-2009, 10:10 PM
My car has been acting real funny. First the brake pedal got soft and the car would stall. Now my brakes are ok but the car will not turn over. When I tried to start it I would get a little clicking sound. Now when I try and start it I get nothing but all the light come on, so I don't think it is low battery. How would it act if the alternator is bad? Is there a way to tell if the problem is the starter or the starter switch.?

BNaylor
06-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I would not rule out a bad battery based on your symptoms like the clicking sound. Even with a weak or battery with a bad cell you can get the lighting but it will not start. Best to get the battery and alternator tested places like at Autozone or Advanced.

To check the starter the starter solenoid "S" terminal (purple wire) should have 12 volts at ignition to START.

jerry1967
06-28-2009, 07:40 AM
I would not rule out a bad battery based on your symptoms like the clicking sound. Even with a weak or battery with a bad cell you can get the lighting but it will not start. Best to get the battery and alternator tested places like at Autozone or Advanced.

To check the starter the starter solenoid "S" terminal (purple wire) should have 12 volts at ignition to START.

I had both the battery checked and it was ok. It is only 2 months old.

jerry1967
06-28-2009, 07:43 AM

This is new to me. The solenoid is on the started, right?

Thank you but how or where can I get this checked.

BNaylor
06-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Thats correct. You will need to safety jack up the driver's side and go underneath to get to the starter and solenoid. Also, you may have to remove a plastic splash guard to make it easier to measure voltages. In addition to the starter solenoid "S" terminal there is a B+ connection on the starter side where you will get 12 volts at all times regardless of the ignition switch being on. That comes directly off the battery positive cable. If it appears to be too complex then take it to an auto shop.

Also, be sure to check the battery positive and negative terminals and cables.

jerry1967
06-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Could it be the crank position sensor? Where is this located on a 2000 regal? If possible could anybody put a picture on here?

The whole problem started when I put on my brakes when I was slowing down and the car stalled. This happened a couple of times and now I have trouble all the time starting. I was getting a click when I tried to start it but now I am not getting nothing but all the dash light come on. This is weird.

Could someone give me instructions on how to change the ignition switch?

BNaylor
06-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I doubt your issue is the crank sensor if the starter won't engage and the engine is not cranking. How do you know the ignition switch is bad? Did you check for 12 volts at the starter solenoid "S" terminal with ignition switch to START? If missing there then you can back track to the ignition switch.

jerry1967
06-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I doubt your issue is the crank sensor if the starter won't engage and the engine is not cranking. How do you know the ignition switch is bad? Did you check for 12 volts at the starter solenoid "S" terminal with ignition switch to START? If missing there then you can back track to the ignition switch.

Right now I don't know anything. I went out to start the car and it started great. So I turned it off and tried again and no luck. When I turned the key over all I got was the whole dash blinking at me.
I left it alone for a hour and tried it again then no blinking just all the dash lights come on but no noise,nothing.

I don't know what to do now.

BNaylor
06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Unless the problem is properly troubleshot you will just be guessing but based on one of your symptoms I'd try the ignition switch especially if it has never been replaced before. See link below for replacement procedure.

Click here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=470982&highlight=ignition+switch)

jerry1967
06-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Unless the problem is properly troubleshot you will just be guessing but based on one of your symptoms I'd try the ignition switch especially if it has never been replaced before. See link below for replacement procedure.

Click here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=470982&highlight=ignition+switch)

Thank you for the information. I did have the ingnition switch replaced about 5 years ago or 70 miles. 160,000 miles now.Does the air bag cause a problem with this?
Does anybody know how to change a ingnition switch?

Add your comment to this topic!