Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 S10 running rough

mrsbb
06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
my S10 acts up sometimes--service engine light is on most of the time. Sometimes it runs fine then the next time I drive it --it jerks when I step on the gas. it get pretty anoying. when I let up on the gas its ok, but the minute I shift to the next gear it jerks and won;t quit no matter what speed I go. anyone got any ideas?

BlitzKeg
07-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Have you checked all your fluids lately? Specifically Auto transmission fluid. I'm assuming it's a automatic transmission.

I had 2 transmission rebuilds due to somebody else driving it. First on was due to cheap watery transmission fluid used a quick lube place that my mom took it to. Oh yea, she likes to borrow it and run it into the ground.
The second was from her driving it 80 plus miles out of gear at highway speeds. I believe that was the cause.

But my point is before my first rebuild I experienced heavy jerking movements as I shifted gears up and down.

besides that, the problem setting off your check engine light should be fixed. I believe the transmission problems can be directly linked to engine problems.

I suggest go to some parts store that checks Trouble Codes for free.
Have them right down the Trouble Code or print it out. Go back home and type that bad boy in google for example "P0401" or "P0402" etc......

I think the internet has become a powerful tool for DIYers around the globe.

mrsbb
07-12-2009, 09:12 AM
oops sorry--it is a 5 speed, but I will check that stuff out anyway. thanks

Add your comment to this topic!