Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Discolored Differential Oil...why?

das_kuppler
06-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I've got a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd. about 2000 miles ago, I changed the front differential oil, and noticed one of the bolts was stripped, it just spins and won't tighten down. I kept an eye on it, it never leaked. I took it four wheeling, and when the oil gets hot it oozes out a little. I pulled the drain plug on it and the oil is gray, I know that's bad, would it be caused by dirt? or Something worse. It looks like graphite.

toddman67
06-25-2009, 06:54 PM
If you have a locking differential and you replaced the fluid with the wrong type. You may be burning up the clutch plates.
I'm not familiar with the Dodge set up, but GM specifies GL-5 rated gear oil for these set ups. Check with your owners manual or the dealer for the correct fluid specification.

das_kuppler
06-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey,

I do not have licking difs, it's open. I used amsoil 75w 90 oil in it. Could it be the ball bearings disintegrating?

toddman67
06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
It could be water contamination from the breather, however the fluid would be milkey colored. I suggest you make sure you're using the right fluid and change it again. It does'nt cost alot and it might otherwise save the differential. If the bearings were failing, you should here some noises and a vibration would be felt. Perhaps combining different fluids, if this is the case, you may see some unusual contrasting colors.

das_kuppler
06-26-2009, 12:21 AM
It could be water contamination from the breather, however the fluid would be milkey colored. I suggest you make sure you're using the right fluid and change it again. It does'nt cost alot and it might otherwise save the differential. If the bearings were failing, you should here some noises and a vibration would be felt. Perhaps combining different fluids, if this is the case, you may see some unusual contrasting colors.

Thanks. I checked the oil, it's definitely a grayish color. I didn't see any metal fragments or anything in it. Nor did it even feel grainy. I don't hear any noises, but then my exhaust is not stock so it's hard to hear much anyways. It drives ok, doesn't feel rough at all. When it's been in 4wd for a while I can smell oil

das_kuppler
06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey,

One more question. It's definitely water, no metal damage or damage to the differential itself. A couple holes need to be redrilled. Does anyone know if Dodge went metric or Standard? And can a standard hole be rethreaded to metric, or the opposite?

toddman67
06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
A good indicator would be to check the rest of the bolts for size. See what fits best.... metric or standard wrench. You mentioned that one of the bolt holes was stripped. Sometimes you can re-thread the hole with a tap and use a longer bolt or you may re-thread the bolt hole to the next size in metric or standard which ever is closest.
Other than that you may have to helicoil the thread hole.
In any case, get it fixed and get the contaminated fluid out of there before is causes furhter damage.

das_kuppler
06-26-2009, 06:01 PM
A good indicator would be to check the rest of the bolts for size. See what fits best.... metric or standard wrench. You mentioned that one of the bolt holes was stripped. Sometimes you can re-thread the hole with a tap and use a longer bolt or you may re-thread the bolt hole to the next size in metric or standard which ever is closest.
Other than that you may have to helicoil the thread hole.
In any case, get it fixed and get the contaminated fluid out of there before is causes furhter damage.

Alright, thanks for the info. i think my friend has a tap set. anything I should look for while doing it? I know to go slow and use oil.

Add your comment to this topic!