Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 MPV 2.5L Inteference Motor?

bigj-dog
06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi, I bought a 2001 MPV that doesn't start. I'm thinking it may have either jumped out of time or broken the rear timing chain. I haven't had much time to look at it so far, except that it has good fuel pressure and the front head sprocket does turn (I removed the cam sensor and looked in the hole as we turned it over). I'm planning on checking the compression tomorrow. Anyway, I'm wondering if it's in interference engine, so I know if it's worth fixing or if it should find the junkyard. Thanks.

bigj-dog
09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Update, I'm still not sure if it's an interference motor or not, but both head gaskets were blown and the rear head was warped 11 thousandths, and the front was warped 13 thousandths. I had them resurfaced to flat, and have the motor reassembled, just haven't run it yet. I'll let everyone know if it runs or not in the next couple of days.

bigj-dog
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
It runs good. I've got a few bugs to work out, mainly the leaky radiator and some wheel bearing or similar noise from the rear wheels, but overall, a success. As a note to anyone looking at having their heads resurfaced due to warpage, make sure you check the block too. We just used a straight edge and a feeler gauge. I've heard the blocks warp too, but mine was pretty straight.

Add your comment to this topic!