Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Aurora ECM/Prom for Trans Swap

MarkWilliams64
06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Where is the 95 Aurora ECM located.
I need to get to it to switch the PROM out.
I did a transmission Swap my car had the FQ2 tranny and the new trans is a FV4.

Does anyone know if that is all I need to replace to get it to work right?

ghutchin
06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't know if that is all you need, but the PCM is located behind the glove box. Remove the passenger kickpanel and it is mounted vertically. There is a clip and it slides down and out.

MarkWilliams64
06-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Okay, That gets me started.

How about the location of the Regular Production Option Sticker (RPO)
I am told that this will show what trans is installed in the car.
I am looking either for FQ2 or FV4 codes.

Actually I want the CHIP out of a car that had the FV4 trans it.

I looked for the sticker in Glove Box, Under Hood and in Trunk.
Am I not looking in the right place?

ghutchin
06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
They are ususally on the trunk lid itself, like close to where the latch is. Not sure about the Aurora.

Generally, for any given model year there may be 10 or more proms. It might be harder than you think to hunt down the correct one. Not sure though, just an FYI.

rd3889
07-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Did you get your EPROM switched out? Did it work ok? I have a 95 Aurora that I just changed the transmission. The tranny in the car was a non-autobahn FQ2 and when I bought the tranny I put in the car I was told it was an FQ2. Now I get a DTC 086 (undefined axle ratio). I need to try to read the tag on the tranny now in the car to see if I got a FV4 autobahn tranny. I would be gratefull if you let me know how yours worked after changing the EPROM.
Thanks

MarkWilliams64
07-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I did not end up replacing the EPROM.
I had done an Engine and Trans Swap from Junk Yard.
My Trans in my original car was okay, The Junk Yard convinced us that we should just keep the Engine and Trans together.

I checked into the PROMS talking to a Parts Tech at the local GM dealer.
There in fact were 4 Proms that went with the FV4 trans.
I didn't relish the fact of searching through the junk yard to try and find one myself. I called some other yards that computer catalog their stuff and they didn't have what I needed.

So we decided to pull the Engine and Trans again and switch out the trans with the one from the original car. That fixed the shifting issue.

I did however find a prom chip that you could buy from Rock Auto, that appears to be a replacement for all 4 GM proms for the FV4. It is $110 dollar item. We decided that for us the safer bet was just to use the old trans.

Good luck, I hope you get yours fixed.

rd3889
08-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I did not end up replacing the EPROM.
I had done an Engine and Trans Swap from Junk Yard.
My Trans in my original car was okay, The Junk Yard convinced us that we should just keep the Engine and Trans together.

I checked into the PROMS talking to a Parts Tech at the local GM dealer.
There in fact were 4 Proms that went with the FV4 trans.
I didn't relish the fact of searching through the junk yard to try and find one myself. I called some other yards that computer catalog their stuff and they didn't have what I needed.

So we decided to pull the Engine and Trans again and switch out the trans with the one from the original car. That fixed the shifting issue.

I did however find a prom chip that you could buy from Rock Auto, that appears to be a replacement for all 4 GM proms for the FV4. It is $110 dollar item. We decided that for us the safer bet was just to use the old trans.

Good luck, I hope you get yours fixed.

Here is an update on my trans. I ordered the EPROM from rock auto. It arrived yesterday and I installed it. I have driven the car twice for a total of about 75 miles. The trans appears to work perfectly. At least in my case using an autobahn trany in a non autobahn worked after I changed the EPROM.
Rick
1995 Aurora

Add your comment to this topic!