Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting Carbon Fiber Pattern??

Davoaldo
04-01-2003, 11:37 PM
I was just wondering has anyoen actually try the method that the Tamiya site suggests.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/howto/car1/tip1.htm
Cause its very hard for me to get CF decals here so was just wondering if anyone has try it out??
Or any other tip in doing it instead of decals?

2000-redrider
04-02-2003, 12:08 AM
I haven't tried it, but I seen it done before. The results were pretty good. Only problems I saw were that is seemed like getting a consistant shade was difficult, and the curved areas weren't crisp.

Chain
04-02-2003, 12:36 AM
I tried on a flat surface and its easy with the mesh given in the box. But on curve objects, I screwed up til I gave up. Its hard to get the paint into corners of the curve let alone bend the mesh to fit them.

You can mask the corners where you dont want paint to land but its hard to line up the mesh tiny squares to the one that's already been painted.

But if you do try here's my take on it
1)1 pass of spray low pressured. Once dried, judge for yourself if you need a 2nd pass of paint.
2)Paint must not be watery otherwise when U lift up the mesh, you'll have runny paints and U will have to redo.
3)Use white paint, since the square dots are extremely small, the white wont be so clear.

Next best thing for me to getting CF decals cos I dont use the printer method either. Also CF is quite exp here for a pc of 1 sheet of CF decals it'll cost me SGD$15.00
But its very troublesome and if you do managed to pull it off, my hats off to you.
Perhaps others have successfully tried it, lets see more feedbacks.

Mainomega
04-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Where did you find this on their page ? Anyways, I think im going to try this method but straight off the bat i think the decals would probably look crisper. Doesn't the mesh leave the squares a little to big ?

I dunno. I'll try it out tomorrow

Chain
04-02-2003, 04:37 AM
Nope, the squares are very small as U can see from the tamiya link.
But even after you tried, look at the tamiya link, it doesnt really look like CF at all.

I know there are several different CF types but judging from most of the CFs in real cars, they are of diagonal lighter lines inbetween blacks.

Anyways, give it a shot if not for the sake of experience.

Hope yours work out right.

Add your comment to this topic!