Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 Steering wheel hard to turn

lesabrefan
06-24-2009, 10:03 AM
The steering wheel is hard to turn when the car is still and the steering wheel is turned all the way to right or left. When it's returned to a normal straight position - everything is fine.

What could it be?
Thanks.

maxwedge
06-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Under inflated tires, something binding in the steering linkage, weak p/s pump, are all possibilities.

happydog500
06-24-2009, 03:21 PM
It there a way to MAKE a Power Steering Pump weaker?

I think the Lesabre steering is two easy. I would like it to steer harder. That's one thing that makes some people think that foreign cars "feel" like their better quality. The steering is harder, more solid feel, where American cars have a less solid, easier feel to the steering.

Chris.

maxwedge
06-24-2009, 06:50 PM
No.

lesabrefan
06-30-2009, 08:26 AM
maxwedge, thanks for your help. Out of all the causes you've listed, I was sure it was not the deflated tires. When I came outside to check it out - sure enough, one of the front tires was deflated. It's now fixed and the problem went away.
P.S. Why wouldn't the computer show the deflation?

maxwedge
07-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Good question do you tire pressure monitors in that year?

polarzak
07-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Good question do you tire pressure monitors in that year?

It probable does, mine did, however you have to drive several miles with an under inflated tire, before the monitor "notices" the problem. If the tire lost air and the car had not been driven, it would not have "known" it had a low tire.

imidazol97
07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Also, many people don't reset their pressure monitor when they replace the tires or rotate them or when they adjust all the pressures so they're all spot on.

A 2001 has surely had tires replaced and they're been rotated.

May I remind lesabrefan to reset the tire pressure on the DIC when he has all the tires checked and at the right pressure he wants them to be.

AND does lesabrefan know why the tire lost air? Nail? Leak around rim? It needs to be checked all around the tread and around the rim on both sides and the middle with soapy water to look for a leak?

Add your comment to this topic!