Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Jimmy Rear Wiper Drips

mifronte
06-24-2009, 01:08 AM
My 1996 Jimmy rear wiper drips fluid only when the liftgate is opened (down) or when it is on a slope with the rear pointing down slope. Otherwise, the rear wiper has no problem. The drip can drain the entire windshield fluid reservoir. What could be wrong?

Additional information:
I had this problem for a few years now, but I think it may have started after I had the dealer replaced the rear wiper motor 4 years ago. I just can't recall how soon after, but it took me awhile after noticing the problem to even think that it may be related to the rear wiper motor replacement.

MT-2500
06-24-2009, 05:05 PM
My 1996 Jimmy rear wiper drips fluid only when the liftgate is opened (down) or when it is on a slope with the rear pointing down slope. Otherwise, the rear wiper has no problem. The drip can drain the entire windshield fluid reservoir. What could be wrong?

Additional information:
I had this problem for a few years now, but I think it may have started after I had the dealer replaced the rear wiper motor 4 years ago. I just can't recall how soon after, but it took me awhile after noticing the problem to even think that it may be related to the rear wiper motor replacement.

Might have to put a light check valve in the washer hose.

mifronte
06-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Can you elaborate?

Is is something that is easy to do for someone who has just the minimum amount of tools (i.e. sockets, screwdrivers, hammer, etc)? Would the rear wiper system has its own check valve in the liftgate? Or is there one check valve under the hood that needs replacing?

I will try to google some more. I have never heard of a check valve until now, but it does make sense that may be the solution.

MT-2500
06-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Can you elaborate?

Is is something that is easy to do for someone who has just the minimum amount of tools (i.e. sockets, screwdrivers, hammer, etc)? Would the rear wiper system has its own check valve in the liftgate? Or is there one check valve under the hood that needs replacing?

I will try to google some more. I have never heard of a check valve until now, but it does make sense that may be the solution.
Only thing Iknoe to do is.
Just add one to the washer fluid line to rear.
The pump may have one built in it that is mot working.
Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!