Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya compound help?

'06_silver_stang
06-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, I bought some Tamiya rubbing compound today. (fine and finish)

I've used the fine before, but never the finish. What is the finish mainly used for? When I tried it, I didn't notice any better shine. Any help wil be appreciated.

thank you ,, :smile:

Sixx
06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
The finish is primarily used to remove any small scratches that the fine may have left on the body.

The compounds are meant to be used in succession each removing fine scratches or haze that the last treatment may have left.

good luck

Didymus
06-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Finish should give you about the same gloss as wax, but the residue is easier to remove, IMO. Just so nobody gets sticker shock, it's quite a bit more expensive than the other Tam compounds.

Coarse, which you didn't mention, isn't really very coarse at all. But it will take down moderate orange peel without leaving a visible scratch pattern. It leaves a gloss that's just about right for older cars.

Overall, I think the Tamiya compounds are the most efficient way to polish synthetic lacquers like the Tamiya TS Series spray-can paints.

If somebody's getting more OP or texture than the Coarse can handle, there might be a painting or prep problem.

Ddms

ZoomZoomMX-5
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I use about twice as much coarse as fine, and if I've done my polishing correctly, very little of the finish, and just a few drops of Tamiya wax. Coarse does the lion's share of polishing, and to be honest many models look fantastic after only being polished with it. Darker colors need a more complete job.

Finish and Tamiya wax are more for "detailing", they don't do any heavy work and can't cover up any shortfall in surface finish before they are used.

Add your comment to this topic!