Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TPS broken - customer pay or eat it?

BullShifter
06-22-2009, 06:49 PM
I was wondering what the owners out there are doing with Tire Pressure Monitors when they get broken mounting new tires. We rarely break one, but recently broke a 2007 Camry sensor. The sensor was roughly $100 & $150 to reprogram. That's total bull shit but there is no choice. It had to get reprogrammed at the dealer and the tire needed to be dismounted to get the #'s off the sensor.

I think the customer should sign a waiver and let them pay for it when it breaks. What is your guy's opinion?

oldblu65
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM
If a rim was broken , would it not be the tire installer's fault and responsibility to replace at their cost ? It's part of the job and liability . I'd have to say the installer is responsible for damages done to the customer's vehicle and would have to " eat " the cost of the replacement . One such incident and the subsequent fight over responsibility would travel from person to person in the community and soon you'd have no customers ! Just my :2cents:

Airjer_
06-23-2009, 11:30 AM
There is no reason they should break if the tires are mounted/dismounted properly. I have only broken one and that was because one of the wheels fell over with a deflator installed on the sensor.

If you have a TPMS scan tool and an OTC Genysis/Mac Mentor you have all the software and capability to identify the sensors serial numbers without pulling the wheels and reprogram the module yourself.

Add your comment to this topic!