Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Tahoe transmission removal

Ralph241
06-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Hi,
I have a big problem. My transmission has died so I bought a rebuilt one and am attempting to install it. First I tried to take the transfer case off of the transmission and pull the transmission that way. There just isn't enough room so I put the transfer case back onto the transmission and pull the entire assembly. Once again I ran into the same thing. Do I need to lift the engine to remove this thing? I have just about killed myself trying to get this thing out.
PLEASE is someone knows what I am doing wrong let me know.
I am at the end of my rope.
Thanks for any and all help,
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-20-2009, 05:15 PM
If you do not have some real good stands and transmission jack it is best to pull transfer case and then the transmission.

Transfer case has to be twisted/turned just right to come out.
Good luck

MT-2500
06-20-2009, 05:17 PM
http://72.19.213.157/files/4L60ERemoval.html

http://72.19.213.157/files/4L60ERepairs.html

Ralph241
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks MT 2500.
The links are dead though.
Please resend them if you could.
Thanks for the help.
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Sorry about that.
Give Blue Bowtie a pm maybe he still has it some place.
Or a all data oline info sub.will have it in detail.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

Also most public libary's have good car repair info.
And AZ web site has some.

Ralph241
06-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I did get the subscription to all data and it was useless.
Has no details that I could find. I also went to Chiltons diy site. wasted about 50 bucks on subscriptions yesterday.
I do appreciate you help MT2500.
I might take a day off and heal up some before going back at that thing.
Happy Fathers day to everyone.
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I did get the subscription to all data and it was useless.
Has no details that I could find. I also went to Chiltons diy site. wasted about 50 bucks on subscriptions yesterday.
I do appreciate you help MT2500.
I might take a day off and heal up some before going back at that thing.
Happy Fathers day to everyone.
Ralph241\

It real easy to remove transmission and transfer case together.
Or can be done by pulling transfer case first.
Which ever works best for you.
Just get everything un hooked and off of transmission and transfer case.

Slide it back as far as you can and with cross over pipe off and converter hold in tool on it lower front of transmission down below engine and pull it out forward.

A good transmission jack that will raise and lower and tilt it way down in front is a almost have to have.

Also have truck up high enough on on good stands.
There is no reason why all data does not cover it.
All Data is almost a copy of the factory manual.
The info should be in the all data sub
Find transmission removal in it and or transfer case removal..
If you can not find it all data has great support on stuff.
If not in all data they will get it and fax it to you.
Call or e mail them your problem.
What did you find on transmission removal or transfer case removal?
Post back what you found or where you looked in it or what it said.
Good Luck

Ralph241
06-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Hello again.
I looked under the Vehicle » Transmission and Drivetrain » Transfer Case section as well as the Vehicle » Transmission and Drivetrain » Automatic Transmission/Transaxle » Service and Repair » 4L60-E » Transmission Replacement section. There is no place that I can see that discusses the removal of the torsion bar cross member.
I attempted to make a tool to compress the torsion bar tensioners but it didn't work out very well. I ordered the proper torsion bar unloading tool. Should be a snap after the cross member it removed.
Thanks for all the help , I do appreciate it.
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Hello again.
I looked under the Vehicle » Transmission and Drivetrain » Transfer Case section as well as the Vehicle » Transmission and Drivetrain » Automatic Transmission/Transaxle » Service and Repair » 4L60-E » Transmission Replacement section. There is no place that I can see that discusses the removal of the torsion bar cross member.
I attempted to make a tool to compress the torsion bar tensioners but it didn't work out very well. I ordered the proper torsion bar unloading tool. Should be a snap after the cross member it removed.
Thanks for all the help , I do appreciate it.
Ralph241

That is because you do not do that way.
What did trhe remove and install section say to do?

You do not remove the torson bars or torson bar cross member.:nono:

Just remove the crossmember under back of transfer case.
And drop down/off the exhaust cross over pipe.

If pulling tramsmission and transfer case together.
You slide them back to torson bars crossmember and lower front of transmission way down below engine flywheel and go forward with them.

It takes a good transmission jack to pull them that way or all together.
Good Luck

Ralph241
06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I just email them for further instructions. This is turning into a real nightmare for me. We tried to take the transfer case out and it is hanging up on the output shaft of the transmission. We tried to take the whole assembly out and it hangs up on the flywheel bolts.
I am totally lost. I have been working on cars most of my life and this thing is killing me.
Thanks,
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I just email them for further instructions. This is turning into a real nightmare for me. We tried to take the transfer case out and it is hanging up on the output shaft of the transmission. We tried to take the whole assembly out and it hangs up on the flywheel bolts.
I am totally lost. I have been working on cars most of my life and this thing is killing me.
Thanks,
Ralph241

The trick is to twist it around just right.
It will come out either way.
Let us know what all data support does/or says.

They have always been very helpfull for me.
Good Luck

j cAT
06-22-2009, 10:34 AM
this transmission is about 175lbs...with the transfercase over 200lbs..

you will need another person to aid in the removal..and the vehicle will need be off the ground a very good amount so that it will exit to the front of the vehicle..

slide the transmission/transfercase toward the rear then when its clear of the engine drop the forward part of transmission and move the unit fwd toward the front of the vehicle...

best if done on solid concrete floor smooth...and level....

if you don't have the proper equiptment you should have a shop drop/install....

Ralph241
06-22-2009, 12:42 PM
I GOT THAT BAD BOY OUT!!!!! :runaround:
Had to stop and look at what I was doing wrong. Put the transmission back onto the engine and looked stuff over. What I was doing wrong was this.
The part that goes between the transmission and transfer case was the hang up. I took it apart with the part that the cross member bolts to still attached to the transfer case. After taking the nuts off and leaving the cross member mount attached to the transmission the transfer case then had enough room to pull back and twist it out. The rest was easy after that. Can't believe it was that easy. Next time (hope there isn't one) it will be easy.
I really appreciate all the help from you guys.
I owe you all a beer or two. :)
Thanks once again,
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I GOT THAT BAD BOY OUT!!!!! :runaround:
Had to stop and look at what I was doing wrong. Put the transmission back onto the engine and looked stuff over. What I was doing wrong was this.
The part that goes between the transmission and transfer case was the hang up. I took it apart with the part that the cross member bolts to still attached to the transfer case. After taking the nuts off and leaving the cross member mount attached to the transmission the transfer case then had enough room to pull back and twist it out. The rest was easy after that. Can't believe it was that easy. Next time (hope there isn't one) it will be easy.
I really appreciate all the help from you guys.
I owe you all a beer or two. :)
Thanks once again,
Ralph241

You are welcome and thanks for posting back how it went.

Ralph241
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
You are NOT going to believe this.
Got everything in ans went to put the torque converter inspection cover on. It will not work. The rebuilt transmission has no holes in it for a dust cover. The transmission guy wants me to pull it back out and swap bell housings. Is there any way that I can find the proper cover for this thing???? The bell housing part number or casting number is 24200877.
Thanks,
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Got everything in ans went to put the torque converter inspection cover on. It will not work. The rebuilt transmission has no holes in it for a dust cover. The transmission guy wants me to pull it back out and swap bell housings. Is there any way that I can find the proper cover for this thing???? The bell housing part number or casting number is 24200877.
Thanks,
Ralph241
Best.
Pull it back out and swap the bell housing with your old one.

Or if you want to not to install the heavey cover and engine transmission braces.
You can just put a light tin dust cover on it.

Your your.

Ralph241
06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I was afraid that was going to be the answer.
Back under it I will go.
Thanks for the help,
Ralph241

MT-2500
06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks,
Ralph241

You are welcome.
\Make the transmission rebuilder tie on for the extra work.
He should have checked things like that before they let you have transmission.
Good luck

j cAT
06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks,
Ralph241

if the bell housing cover don't fit I would not agree this is for your vehicle....they made several different transmissions with the same model number,,,4L60

MT-2500
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
if the bell housing cover don't fit I would not agree this is for your vehicle....they made several different transmissions with the same model number,,,4L60

Good point there j cAT

I would have a long talk with the rebuilder on that deal.

He could have a transmission out of a S-10- 2.2 or 4.3 engine with a light clutch packs and converter and sun shell and valve body and speed sensors that will not wire up right .
Could cause a world of hurt on down the road.

jkvette719
08-09-2009, 09:37 PM
ill be doing this before to long too. Hope it isnt to bad. You dont NEED that cover. I have seen alot of people leave them off. How did it work out for ya?

Ralph241
08-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I traded it off for a newer Yukon XL.
It had other issues that I found while I was working on it.
Was a good truck and hated to see it go but I was afraid it would turn into a money pit. There are some really good deals out there right now. I bought that Yukon for less then trade in value.
Good luck with the trans swap.

fastblackcar
12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Im just doing this same thing now. I have taken off the transfercase but cant seem to get it out. Do i need to remove the transmission cross member? Maybe the piece that connects the transmission to the transfercase. So far the only thing I have done is remove the nuts from the round part on the transcase and remove the drive shafts the case is off the transmission but I cant seem to manuver it around to drop out. Do i need to remove that 6-8" piece that connects the trans and trans case. also do i need to remove the cross member that the connector piece is on. maybe just a jack under the transmission and remove that connector piece with the mount. Please advise

fastblackcar
12-27-2009, 02:51 PM
also where does it come out thru, behind the torsion bars or in front.
thanks
tom

Ralph241
12-27-2009, 03:05 PM
The round piece that connects the transmission and transfer case needs to stay on the transmission. There isn't enough room to leave it on the transfer case. The output shaft from the transmission will interfere with the round piece. It took me 2 days to figure this out. I took the transmission cross member out and supported it with a jack. Be ready yo catch the transfer case. when you roll it out of there. It is a little heavy.

fastblackcar
12-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Ralph, thanx for the quick response. Looks like I just need to remove the cross member. Im all done for a few days will post later. I ordered a tcase from tranfercase express. I bought this tahoe and found out it had a transmission replaced right before I bought it, put a fisher plow on it and found out ....well you know the rest now. appears it was towed without putting in neutral..Thanks again....Tom

Ralph241
12-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I hate it when you get into deals where everyone isn't up front but it happens. Good luck.

fastblackcar
12-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Ralph
Thanx for the help, I removed the crossmember and it fell out. Got a friend to help me lift the new one in, went great. filled with gm autotrac, went for a ride in the snow, all works great. I even went and bought a reman encoder motor from advanced auto, the oem was cracked in several places. All is good again. Thank you for your quick responses.
Tom
Plattsburgh, NY

Add your comment to this topic!