Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Cavalier just died. Won't stay running

flyawayde
06-20-2009, 12:58 PM
:runaround:I was driving, everything was fine. Pulled up to a light and it died before I stopped. Didn't wanna start. Got it going, but barely running. Shaking and sputtering, had to keep restarting it to get it into a parking lot. One shop said fuel pump, one said fuel filter, one said spark plugs and wires, or coil pak. It doesnt have spark on 1 cylinder. Stinks when trying to keep it running. Does anyone know what the problem is so I don't have to spend all this money trying all these different fixes? Thanks.

J-Ri
06-20-2009, 11:52 PM
You don't have to "try" any fix. Check the fuel pressure. Cycle the key a few times until the pressure stops rising. With the engine off, this will also check for a plugged filter since there's no flow. If it's not low, check spark. Two of these shops were obviously wrong. A plugged fuel filter will really only limit your top speed which will gradually drop. I have never seen a plugged filter cause a problem with the large canister filters like on your car. The old 3/4"x2" element filters in carbs would plug and cause problems, but there's just so much surface area on your filter I really don't see it being plugged unless foreign material found its way into your tank. Only losing spark on one cylinder probably wouldn't make it die. It would run rough, but would keep running. I realize I eliminted all but one possibility, but do the checks anyway. That was all just guess-work, educated guesses, but guesses nonetheless. There's also a possibility all 3 shops were wrong.

Add your comment to this topic!