Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Eldo A/C blows out of defroster vents

Explorerfl
06-19-2009, 07:29 AM
My A/C is blowing cold air out of the defroster vents. I checked out the programmer and it's ok. There are no codes.

I used a pick to pull the door open and A/C came out the regular vents. It doesn't stay that way when I shut off the car.

I haven't yet screwed up the courage to go into the dash. Only removed the glove box etc. to get at the programmer. It could be a link that's broke.

I could use any info on this type of problem before I start. Mechanics suggest a $500 bill if they have to go in so I'm studying hard. Anybody ever have this sort of problem?

DFBonnett
06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Defroster vents is the default for the AC. Check vac lines to all AC motors.

Explorerfl
06-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I checked out the vacuum at the programmer and it checks out. I set the A/C on auto and went into diagnostic mode. There were no codes and BCM BD24 value was correct so it thinks that the air is coming out of the normal vents. It is not. The Helms manual says to replace the programmer but that wasn't the cause. I think the problem is in the linkage that controls the air distribution. Aside from ripping out the dash, does anyone know how I can check out that POSSIBILITY?

marciaw
08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
as dfbonnet said, check out all the vacuum motors you can find for disconnected, cracked or collapsed rubber hoses. I may be wrong, but I think the vacuum motors are a round ball looking item with a small size rubber hose going into it. your programmer or the slide lever for the AC, if it has one sends the signal for the motor (round ball) to open or close a given vent selection. You may have noticed a sucking noise when you move from 1 setting to another, that is the vacuum motor being activated and that sound may be missing when you move to the regular vent setting.

Hope this helps If you haven't repaired it already...maybe if its fixed this will help someone else.
marcia

Explorerfl
06-19-2010, 09:23 AM
It's June 2010 and I still haven't gone in to check that vent motor as mentioned in the previous post. I've learned to live with the A/C coming out of the defrost vent. The car still cools well enough. If I get inside the dash and find something, I'll be sure to post it along with any fix. Thanks for the input, folks.

Add your comment to this topic!