noise in timing cover

twt95gst
06-18-2009, 09:22 PM
got a whining type noise in timing cover area today,almost like something rubbing,also at same time when i get on the gas hard the car falls on its face and my blow of valve is prematurely bleeding off.if i drive light throttle and shift quicker it drives better,but the car is definitely struggling,anyone got any ideas? i just got this car 2 weeks ago, all i know about it is the blow off valve and innercooler are greddy,3inch cat back also greddy,seems pretty strong for pretty much stock car,will start roasting tires 4500rpms from normal take off.not knowing much about these cars that could be how all gsts run. any body ran into this problem before?

NateS
06-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Your timing belt may be rubbing something, worn out, or maybe even debris is inside your timing cover. Take off the top cover of the timing belt and examine the belt. If it is visibly worn then you need to replace it.

Blackcrow64
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I would definitely stop driving it until you inspect the timing belt and correct the problem. If the timing belt snaps on it, you can kiss your valves goodbye...

I would check the inside of the timing belt cover too. On my old 7 bolt motor it had the crank pulley rubbing on it and grinding away the plastic and it was melting onto the side of the belt. Definitely not a good combo. Get it checked out ASAP!

twt95gst
06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
thanks guys upon removing top of cover found it was rubbing pulley, belt looks new ,noise is gone with cover off, going to scrap yard to try and find one. also found loose clamp on innercooler piping making my car fall on its face,everything back to normal now,was scared i had crankwalk for a minute.thanks for the suggestions.

Blackcrow64
06-20-2009, 03:30 AM
was scared i had crankwalk for a minute.thanks for the suggestions.
That thought was in the back of my mind when posting my reply but I figured I'd better not say anything to jinx the situation for ya. lol

Glad it's all better now!

Add your comment to this topic!