Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Struts for 99 Ultra

bronzeback5
06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Just wondering if the Monroe Sensa Trac is the best strut replacement for my 99 Ultra. I was looking at Monroe 71665. I would like the softest ride without breaking the bank.

northstar1958
06-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I went with the monroe sensatracs and really love the ride. Don't know if its the softest since i bought my pa used with 130,000 miles, so the struts were already bad. The sensatracs really tightened up the ride....I like the tight firm feel, not soft and floaty. After about a month the monroes broke in and the ride was excellent. The sensatracs are my first choice...

Northstar

HotZ28
06-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Sensa-Trac shocks and struts have groove tube technology that features precision tapered grooves that allow fluid to flow freely around the piston, creating a smoother ride under the wide range of driving conditions. During emergency maneuvers or braking, the piston travels beyond the grooves firming up the ride for added safety and control when it is needed most. Click Here (http://www.monroe.com/products/sensatrac_passenger.asp?currItem=%5Flevel0%2EmcSen saTracHeader&currSubItem=%5Flevel0%2EmcSensaTracHeader%2EmcText 1&rolloverObj=%5Bobject+Object%5D) for more details.

bigsky
06-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I find the sensa-trac a bit "floaty" for my taste. I put them on a 97 and the part # was 71664 (different number but I think the same strut).

I put KYB's on a 99 and appreciate the firmness of them. Much better IMO. The KYB are not available for the 97 so tried the Monroe's. Both of these cars have the FE1 Dynaride suspension. The F41 Gran Touring suspension has stiffer springs so that would be another consideration (if one has this).

I recently had an emergency maneuver with the Monroes and while it did drive the strut hard I was able to maintain control so glad to know about that feature.

The trouble is one does not know until trying something; also have to consider the wear on the springs...I imagine they do weaken over time.

bronzeback5
06-20-2009, 02:19 AM
I ordered the Monroe 71665 from Amazon. I found them for $134.59 shipped. Great price, quite a bit cheaper than Advanced, etc. I will share my thoughts on them after i get them installed. I plan on taking them to a buddy who works at a shop and having him swap everything. I would like to swap them myself but everyone i ask says it's too dangerous. Anybody ever use the cheap spring compressors that you tighten by hand. Would just like to do it myself so i know that i can do it again if i ever need to.

HotZ28
06-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Even if you had the special tools & equipment to do the job, you will have to take it to an alignment shop afterwards for a 4-wheel alignment. IMHO, it would be better to let the shop do the complete job. The job is not that difficult, (with the proper tools) but unless you have been through it before, it could be a major PITA!

bronzeback5
06-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I just changed the front struts tonight and put on the Monroe 71665's. Wow, what a difference. I should have done that a year ago. I am going to have the wife take it in Monday for an allignment and i will be able to drive it more after that. I put another brand rear air shock (gabriel or KYB i think) on the back about a year ago and i do not like them at all. Pump was not working and it was easier to just throw some air shocks on there. I may start looking at Monroes for the back or searching the forums. Anyway's, this was the best money i ever spent on my PA.:)

bigsky
07-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I just changed the front struts tonight and put on the Monroe 71665's. Wow, what a difference. I should have done that a year ago. I am going to have the wife take it in Monday for an allignment and i will be able to drive it more after that. I put another brand rear air shock (gabriel or KYB i think) on the back about a year ago and i do not like them at all. Pump was not working and it was easier to just throw some air shocks on there. I may start looking at Monroes for the back or searching the forums. Anyway's, this was the best money i ever spent on my PA.:)

Monroe makes the MA822 air-adjustable for the rear. I bought a pair for the 97 but have not put them on yet. Looks to be a fairly easy job, except for maybe the time to remove the trunk liner. Alignment not needed after replacing the rear. Check "Big River" for deal.

bronzeback5
07-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Took the PA in for wheel alignment after changing some tie rods. The shop said that they could not do the front because my Sensa-Tracs did not have the grooves in the bolt holes that allow them to adjust the camber or toe ( don't remember which). They said i needed some special bolts that will allow them to make adjustments. Fill me in here.

bigsky
07-04-2009, 03:16 AM
Took the PA in for wheel alignment after changing some tie rods. The shop said that they could not do the front because my Sensa-Tracs did not have the grooves in the bolt holes that allow them to adjust the camber or toe ( don't remember which). They said i needed some special bolts that will allow them to make adjustments. Fill me in here.

When I had the 97 aligned at a Buick dealer I was told similar; the camber (pendulum) adjustment could not be made. No mention was made of special bolts allowing this. They did align the toe and caster however and the car drives well.

Jrs3800
07-04-2009, 06:45 PM
After doing these struts on the 97+ Parks, and a hand full of the 97+ W bodies.. I have seen no room for adjustment.. On these cars castor is not adjustable either.. Toe is adjustable..

I would have the alignment checked after doing the front, they should have a tiny bit of room to play with, but even then it will be next to nothing..

If this was a 91-96 Park ave this would be a very different story and the alignment would have to be reset 100%..

The Rear shocks... MA22 is the Monroe Max Air... Its a good replacement air shock.. Some like the firmer ride other don't care for it... The removal and install is easy, and I do like the firmer ride...

HotZ28
07-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Click Here (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1352809,parttype,7448) for a variety of camber/caster adjustment shims & eccentric bolts.

HotZ28
07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Safe & Sound® Guarantee

Tech Support

Safe & Sound® Guarantee

http://www.monroe.com/images/support/safesoundguarantee.gif We are so confident that you will like your new Monroe® Reflex® Shocks and Struts, Sensa-Trac® Shocks and Struts and Gas-Magnum® Shocks, we offer this exclusive Safe & Sound® Guarantee
Try our products for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the Tenneco difference. If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, replace the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price, plus labor (up to $50 per axle). We're that confident you will be satisfied with our products.
For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.
* Offer limited to the purchase of four (4) Monroe Reflex® Shocks and/or Struts, Sensa-Trac® Shocks and/or Struts or Gas-Magnum® Shocks. This offer does not include units improperly installed or substituted. Valid only on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Tenneco Inc. warrants qualifying Monroe® products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed.
Qualifying Products

Monroe® Reflex® Shocks and Struts
Monroe® Sensa-Trac® Shocks and Struts
Monroe® Gas-Magnum® Shocks

Tenneco's obligation under this warranty is limited to replacement of the worn-out or defective product in accordance with this warranty. Cost of removal and installation are not included, and any incidental and consequential damages are excluded under this warranty. This warranty has no cash value. This warranty does not apply to products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes.
To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer from whom it was purchased or to a TA dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. Any implied warranties you may have under state law are limited to the same duration as this warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusion may not apply to you.
Tenneco will contact warranty-serviced consumers to conduct customer satisfaction surveys relating to product and warranty service. Survey activity will provide valuable feedback and help measure the level of consumer satisfaction in different markets.
Information or assistance regarding a warranty claim may be obtained by writing:
Warranty Department / Tenneco
One International Drive
Monroe, MI 48161

Or by calling: 1 (734) 384-7898.
Limited Lifetime Warranty is limited to qualifying Monroe® products only.
Warranty Form - Installer/Retailer Use Only

Warranty Claim Form (http://www.monroe.com/support/documents/warranty_claim.pdf) (38 kb).
Warranty Claim Form (http://www.monroe.com/support/documents/warranty_claim_ES.pdf) (52 kb - Spanish).

This document is provided in PDF format. Acrobat Reader® required.
Get the latest version for free from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).

Source (http://www.monroe.com/support/warranty.asp)

hairbear21
07-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a quick question. I have a '98 Ultra with the F41 suspension. I did struts at about 125K, and they are due to be replaced again (247K). I bought the sensatrac because no one had anything for the F41 option, and I haven't liked them very much, so I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I can find the correct struts for the suspension that I have, that would be great.

Thank you.

TopherS
07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a quick question. I have a '98 Ultra with the F41 suspension. I did struts at about 125K, and they are due to be replaced again (247K). I bought the sensatrac because no one had anything for the F41 option, and I haven't liked them very much, so I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I can find the correct struts for the suspension that I have, that would be great.

Thank you.

When I got mine (SensaTrac struts), the other option was KYB, but I was told that they would firm up the ride on my car. I have the FE1 suspension, and I wanted the soft ride. In all my searches for struts, I found that KYB and SensaTrac's seemed to be the only options out there. I heard that the dealer has some "OEM" struts, but that they did not seem to be recommended. Sounds like the KYB's may be your better choice.

:cheers:

Add your comment to this topic!