Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

headunit help(please)

bmorebuick88
06-17-2009, 11:16 PM
well i had a double din dvd/cd player in my car that was hooked up to my subs. my remote turn on wire to the subs wasn't really hidden or nothing, because i was going to put a switch on it and then hide it. anyways a part of the wire was bare and cut in two pieces because thats where the switch was going to be. for the time being i would just connect each end to each other when i wanted the subs on. ok, so one day i go to grab some change out of my ashtray(i don't smoke) and the bare part of the remote turn on wire hit the metal of the ashtray and sparked. the headunit was on at the time and just completley blinked off when the wire touched the metal. i checked the fuses to the headunit and checked the fuses to the headunit/horn/ a/c control and they are all good.

My question is, is my headunit fried and will not work anymore? i read on google that my speakers may have shorted which in turn may be causing a protect feature in my headunit to not power on? is there any truth to that, and how would i go about fixing this problem if it is.

any replies would be helpful. thanks. this headunit is really nice, and i don't want to have to get a new one unless its neccesary.

PaulD
06-18-2009, 06:53 PM
does the headunit even turn on anymore ?

there are fuses under the hood too

AWP9521
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
If you shorted the remote lead to ground you most likely fried something in the head unit, those leads were not designed to carry much amperage as they are used to power a relay or electronic circuit to switch on the amp either of which does not draw much current.

If the head unit still does power up like Paul is asking then there is a possibility of an internal fuse that blew for the remote lead, replacing it may be a bit of a chore though, usually fuses like that are soldered to the board and look like a small round button with 2 leads or may look similar to an axial lead diode. Best case scenario is the fuse is merely a thin squiggly trace on the PC board that has an open spot that you may be able to bridge with a small piece of wire or drop of solder. either way if the above is the case you'll be removing lots of parts to get at the main board just to examine it which may not be worth the trouble.

bmorebuick88
06-20-2009, 10:26 AM
thanks for the replies. paulD no it doesn't even turn on at all. it has two fuses that are incased in this little black case coming from these wires in the back and both of those are good and intact. i took one out and put it back in and it made that spark sound that shows that its getting power(i guess). oh well looks like i will just have to get anoter headunit.:shakehead

PaulD
06-20-2009, 02:20 PM
That's unusual for a shorted remote turnon to disable the entire headunit. See if you can borrow one and connect it up, make sure you didn't miss anything

Add your comment to this topic!