Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thinking about repainting her

BuickMan89
06-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Well guys I have a 1997 Park Ave that I'm in love with. She still runs like she's out of the factory with 147K miles and Im just about to get new tires for her. All in all technically the car is great. However it's to the point now (thanks to the damn winters in NE) that the rust is started to spread. I've read about people repainting their cars before, getting rid of rust and I never thought I'd comtemplate trying it but here I am.

The rust is way more prominant in the back of the car, in the lower portion of the body but mainly on the bottom of both passenger doors. Theres a spot starting to spring up above the rear right wheel well, but has not eaten into the metal yet. Basically the rust runs along underneath the doors and is slowly starting to move up the body. Anyhoo the rust is really starting to worry me and I don't want to lose my PA because of it.

So basically I'm here for some advice. Have any of you sanded, primed, and repainted your Park Ave's or any cars before? What are some tips, tools, ect? Or do you think I'm insane for bothering to repaint her? :rofl:

Thanks guys.

ZiggyPA
06-17-2009, 03:49 PM
You mean with a paint roller or brush?

big white bufflo
06-17-2009, 06:10 PM
rust never sleep it will always come back if not removed the only thing you can do on the doors if you plan on keeping the car is replace the door the bottom of doors is the worst or you can mask the rust for about two years and apply fiberglass to it then bondo over that and as far as paint materials are so much money it best to take it to maaco

Add your comment to this topic!