Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 cavalier, only cranks and code reader wont read?

greatriver
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
i have an 04 chevy cavalier sport that will not start, it just cranks. it is not getting any fuel and no power to the feul pump. when i tried to hook it to my code reader to diagnose, it won't read. my check engine light, theft light and check gauges light are all on and my odometer is reading error...does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this problem? i am thinking bad bcm, does this sound correct to anyone?

J-Ri
06-17-2009, 05:22 PM
What do you mean the code reader won't read? No communication, error message or what? Check all the fuses. No power to the DLC won't let the code reader communicate with the PCM. Also check the documentation that came with the code reader. Most, from what I've read on here, will only read generic ("P0xxx") codes, which excludes any Uxxxx or Bxxxx that would be useful for determining if the BCM or wiring is bad.

I'll check at work tomorrow if I have time and if I remember to see if I can find anything about the odometer saying "error". That's new to me.

greatriver
06-18-2009, 08:45 AM
the code reader says failure to communicate. the dlc does have power and a good ground. have already checked all of the fuses and they were all good. i believe that you are correct and that our code reader only reads the poxxx codes. i have an appointment to take it to a shop and let them have a crack at it later this week.
thanks for the reply.

MalibuBarbie98
07-16-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm having the same problem and no solution as well. I've already changed the fuel filter and the fuel pump and still no dice. I have also changed the ignition control module. I have a 2.2L OHC on my 2004. I would really like to know you solution to this problem. I'm going to continue searching here and around, and if I find something, I will add it to this thread. Also, if you happen to find the solution, please post it. It would help out big time.

greatriver
07-30-2009, 07:21 AM
i still have not gotten the car running. we believe it is the ecu, but as it is right now, due to an unrelated problem (no compression), we have had to pull the motor and are currently looking for a replacement motor before we can continue working on it.

MalibuBarbie98
08-03-2009, 06:20 PM
i still have not gotten the car running. we believe it is the ecu, but as it is right now, due to an unrelated problem (no compression), we have had to pull the motor and are currently looking for a replacement motor before we can continue working on it.

I got my car working. It was the ignition switch, 48 bucks, for me. I finally took a tester, took off the fuel pump relay switch, opened the key, and probe the inner closest to the driver. If you're looking towards the passenger tire, then it's the inner right slot. That slot should make your tester's light turn on, but not bright.

CP10KRK
08-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Had the same issue. Followed MalibuBarbie's lead and checked pump relay socket. She said the light should come on, but dim. Ours was bright. So we changed the ignition switch and the car fired up. Have made over 20 starts with it no problem. Thanks to Barbie for all the legwork!! I would have made another guess besides the switch. We now have 2 confirmed results for this dilema, so try it!

Add your comment to this topic!