Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

??Moisture Problems??

swoop
06-16-2009, 04:50 PM
My sons 99 s-10 blazer is having a weird missing problem. This problem occurs after it rains. That whole day it will miss from a start but smooth out after accelerating. The next day after everything is dry it is fine. Until it rains again. Like clock work. The other bugga boo is that his stock gm stereo will not play cd's. A err message will appear then default back to the radio. If anyone has had the same problem or have a idea let me know. I have recently replaced the cap and rotor, plugs and wires. The cap was newer when I replaced it, maybe 10,000 miles on it. It was white corroded on the terminals. I sprayed ignition sealer on the cap and coil where the wire connects, but have not pin pointed the problem. Help

Swoop

berkompt
06-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I have the same problem with my 2000 Bravada. I also replaced the plugs and wires. With mine even if it is not currently raining but has rained at night it will have a problem. It will shutter with light acceleration but if I give it more of gas (anything over 3K) it will run fine. I have had a SES light on and when I checked it was just an emissions code. Today it is raining and while I was driving into work the SES started flashing for about 10 seconds and then went solid again. I am going to use my autotap at lunch to see what codes I have. If it sets for a few days and it has not rained it runs fine. Thanks for any insight anyone can give.

old_master
06-17-2009, 09:47 PM
My sons 99 s-10 blazer is having a weird missing problem. This problem occurs after it rains. That whole day it will miss from a start but smooth out after accelerating. The next day after everything is dry it is fine. Until it rains again. Like clock work. The other bugga boo is that his stock gm stereo will not play cd's. A err message will appear then default back to the radio. If anyone has had the same problem or have a idea let me know. I have recently replaced the cap and rotor, plugs and wires. The cap was newer when I replaced it, maybe 10,000 miles on it. It was white corroded on the terminals. I sprayed ignition sealer on the cap and coil where the wire connects, but have not pin pointed the problem. Help

Swoop

The white corrosion is supposed to be on the terminals in the cap. It is silicone dielectric that must be applied to all terminals inside and out on the cap. When voltage passes through the dielectric, it crystalizes.

Did you use AC Delco plugs, wires, cap & rotor?

Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?

Does the SES light come on or blink while driving?

swoop
06-18-2009, 08:50 AM
I just bought the blazer from a co worker. He has done new ac delco plugs. He put on a new cap and rotor, and I recently replaced the wire set. Now the cap that I recently replaced isn't an AC Delco. I bought a Borg Werner, along with the same brand wire set. And here is where the issue got even harder for me to understand. I put the cap on one day. With the same old plug wires. Idles smooth, runs fine. The next day I buy a new wire set becuase the old ones are due. Put the new ones on and it would idle like I had a loose connection somewhere or crossed wires. The SES light comes on immediately blinking then staying solid. Scan the computer and it tells me cylinder #3 is missfiring along with random missfires. Go home and change the new plug wire out on cyl. #3 with the old one and back to smooth idleing. Now I want to say that I had the boot on the plug securely fastened, but I also know I was working with a very warm engine, so mabey not. I did put all wires back in their clips with none of them crossed. I did put dielectric grease on all boots, but I didn't put any on the post inside the cap. I havn't done a fuel pressure test or leak down. I have the gauges but havn't had the time. I know the fuel pump is new, which I don't know if it is an AC Delco part. The funny thing about this is when I was at the part store after taking it back so I could read the codes, was I asked the manager about the issue with GM vehicles prefering AC Delco parts, I get the answer that the BW stuff is a step up, that I may have got a bad wire. I hear it all the time about replacing AC Delco with AC Delco. Mabey this is just the problems I'm having, but what makes me thing that it could be something else is that after the rainy night the GM stock stereo won't play CD's. It shows an err message on the screen, then defaults back to the radio.

Weird huh

Add your comment to this topic!