99 gst smoking can you help?

coose86
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I have a 99 eclipse gst. there is no mods done to the motor or turbo. the only thing that I added was a front mount intercooler and turbo back exhuast. I had the turbo fully rebuilt about a year ago. my problem- when ever I drive the car normally meaning no high boost just city driving the car does not smoke. if I get on it hit high boost and let out, the car smokes alot but only when I let off the gas. If I stay in it the car wont smoke till I come to a stop light. the more I get on it the more It smokes when I let off the gas. Some one told me it might be the valve guide seals but I dont know how to do that or how much it would cost. please help

david-b
06-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I have a 99 eclipse gst. there is no mods done to the motor or turbo. the only thing that I added was a front mount intercooler and turbo back exhuast. I had the turbo fully rebuilt about a year ago. my problem- when ever I drive the car normally meaning no high boost just city driving the car does not smoke. if I get on it hit high boost and let out, the car smokes alot but only when I let off the gas. If I stay in it the car wont smoke till I come to a stop light. the more I get on it the more It smokes when I let off the gas. Some one told me it might be the valve guide seals but I dont know how to do that or how much it would cost. please help

Hmmm. So regular driving the car doesn't smoke at all, but if you build boost, it does, correct? And the longer you're on it, the more it smokes?

I would pull off the piping off the turbo and check for shaft play. If the shaft can move side to side a lot and/or you can pull it in/out, the turbo is shot. I know you just got it rebuilt, but it may not have been balanced and worn down the seals already. Also, check your O2 housing and intercooler pipes for oil.

coose86
06-17-2009, 07:12 AM
thanks for the advise on checking the turbo I will have to do that. The car acts wierd if I build boost and let out slowly the car wont smoke but if I boost and shift or let out suddenly it will smoke. thats what gets me confused.

spyderturbo007
06-17-2009, 07:47 AM
What color is the smoke? Have you done a boost leak test yet?

coose86
06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
the smoke is dark to light gray. not black smoke. I have not done a boost leak test. is that test in a service manual? do I need any special tools to do this test? thanks for your help

Add your comment to this topic!