Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problems with paint...

UKPonchoMan
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
'm having an "interesting" problem with a couple of kits I'm painting at present - Fujimi BNCR34 Nismo Skyline and Revell 360 Modena.

Both were primed with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer and smoothed off.

Both were then painted with Zero Nissan Spark Silver (4 coats for the Skyline and 3 for the Modena) and the Modena then had 2 coats of Zero Grigio Titanio. Finally, 2 coats of Zero 1 part clear.

When the paint dried, it seems to have reacted with the plastic on both kits - the Revell more so and the finish is really badly crazed.

I sanded back down and reprimed with Zero primer, then painted again and had exactly the same result!!!!

I've managed to polish a lot of the roughness, but I'm at a loss to explain how the paint managed to eat through several layers of primer??!!

white97ex
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
you may have sprayed the color on too thick or too fast. give us a time table as to how quickly you sprayed everything. Primer, color, clear. Airbrush or spray can? It is kind of odd that the primer didn't react and the paint did. Is the crazing all over the body or in small parts? If its just parts, then you may have sanded the primer too thin to protect against the color coats.

alimatok
06-17-2009, 01:36 AM
I rather suggest to spray the paint one at a time until the first coating will be dry then so on..Be sure to spray at in one direction maybe left to right or upside down.let it dry for many hours needed then put a rubbing compound for finishing.i think it will result good..I also agree with you UKPonchoMan.

Add your comment to this topic!