Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Heater Blower motor resistor question???

05tahoeLT
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I have a 2005 Tahoe that the front blower motor stopped working. I think I have isolated it to the blower motor resistor. My question is, what is the output for the resistor with the controls on high? I am getting nearly 14 volt to the resistor, but with the controls on high, I am getting about 8 volt with the engine running on the output of the resistor to the motor. Thank you in advance for any help!

Airjer_
06-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Manual or automatic climate control?

If its manual -
when the switch is in the high position it sends power through the orange wire to the coil side of the high speed relay. This energizes the relay which closes the contacts and allows power from the red wire (gets power from the blower fuse) to go through the relay and then through the blower motor. The high speed relay is part of the resistor assembly.

05tahoeLT
06-15-2009, 11:21 PM
I believe it to be an automatic climate control, digital display, dual controls for passenger, you just set the temperature and it sets the blower speed for you, although you can crank the blower motor up manually as well.

j cAT
06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I believe it to be an automatic climate control, digital display, dual controls for passenger, you just set the temperature and it sets the blower speed for you, although you can crank the blower motor up manually as well.

I would remove the blower motor and apply 12 volts to see if it works properly ,,,it most likely will ....then get some cash and buy a new hvac control module////...

with the manual it would most likely be the resistor/blower relay module cost of 20.oo aftermarket type ...

with the auto hvac this BLOWER is controlled by TOP SECRET GM ELECTRONICS....

05tahoeLT
06-16-2009, 09:59 PM
But it has a resistor, just like the manual controller, Orielly's for $50, on my way to pick that up first, before I have to take out the loan for the control module.

Add your comment to this topic!