Speedo died at 90 on freeway, can anyone help?

BishiRST
06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi all, i have a weird problem, I was on the freeway and was climbing towards 90 when the speedo just dropped to 0 and i replaced the gauge, and vss, but still nothing, the wheels roll just a little bit maybe enough to produce 1 mile for 45-55 minutes of constant driving, sounds like something you guyz seen before?:runaround:

Blackcrow64
06-15-2009, 11:03 PM
A model and year could help a lot...

BishiRST
06-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah, My bad.. its a 95 gs 5spd, 420A with aem cam gearrs and also the engine idles like its mistimed but i pulled the cover off nd all the marks lined up, so I'm pretty much stumped on that :mad:

Blackcrow64
06-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Maybe some of the 420a guys can chime in here and help with your idle problems...

As far as the speedo. Since it is electronic there is no mechanical lines to check or anything and you say you've already replaced the gauge and the vss so that would lead me to question the wiring... You could try checking the wiring for shorts or something may have just came unhooked somewhere? I would think since it died while going down the road that its not something getting unhooked but its still possible for something to vibrate loose if a connector is broke... But I'm leaning towards a short in the system somewhere.

BishiRST
06-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanx bro I'll look into it, Oh, speaking of which, know where i can get a wiring diagram or just that circuit?

No dice on the idling thing huh, I'll see what else there is wrong with it, Oh, also the computer in it is for an automatic, can that have something to do with it?

Blackcrow64
06-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Only thing I could suggest for the idle is to adjust your BSS screw in the throttle body or use a timing light and adjust your cam angle sensor. Is it stalling our or just idling funny?

The fact that it has an ECU for an automatic might be making a difference. Is this something you just recently switched? I'm not sure about the wiring diagram. I think there is one in the chiltons manual for these cars but don't quote me on that one for sure.

BishiRST
06-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Ok, I'll look at that and see, as for the cam angle sensor, it dosen't look like it has adjustable slots on it, but i'll try and see what happenes, the computer, I got the car with it like that, it has junkyard marks on it so I know its been replaced, but i put the code reader on it and it was asking for a tourq converter sensor and well yeah, I don't got one for it..

Blackcrow64
06-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Hmmm... You've got me curious now. I'm not sure what'll happen with an auto ECU in it... I would think it would cause problems since none of the solenoids or sensors are there for it. It might be part of the problem for the speedo but not if it ran for a while ok with no problems. I donno...

Add your comment to this topic!