Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Horn Switch- How do you remove cover?

eaglebreath
06-15-2009, 07:07 AM
I have a horn switch that is very sensitive. Barely touch it and it sounds. Sometimes it sounds and doesn't stop until you bang on the switch a few times. After reading forums it sounds like this a very common problem and the most common solution is to install a button in the vinyl cover somewhere. Question is ........How do you get the vinyl cover off the steering wheel that covers the air bag? Does it just Peel off ? I am afraid
to touch it unless I know for sure because of the air bag.

thanks
97 lesabre

maxwedge
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
A button in the air bag, for real?? You cannot remove the cover for the bag without destroying the air bag, careful here!! You could remove the bag/horn pad assy and try to see what's what, but a qualified tech should do this.

Smith1000
06-24-2009, 09:25 PM
I am looking for a fix for the horn issue on my 97 as well. Last week, the heat set the horn off on the way home from work and I got the finger 15 times. I could not get it to stay off for more than 3-4 seconds. I sat through a light at a busy intersection with the horn blasting continuously. I finally pulled over and pulled the wires.

It seems to be having a few issues recently. The next day, it ran slightly hot and the oil pressure dropped to zero. Yesterday, the rear view mirror dropped off the windshield. The oil pressure issue is under control and I glued the mirror back up, but the horn is still disconnected. I read an article about rigging a button or two on the top of the horn pad to resolve this issue.

maxwedge
06-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Read my post about the horn button in the air bag assy, which is the " pad"

Smith1000
06-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I found this:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=723304&highlight=horn+button

maxwedge
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
If done very carefully that will work, as you are working around the air bag. Make sure you disable the SIRS by disconnecting the battery and waiting 10 minutes before removing it, there are other precautions involved in this also.

Add your comment to this topic!