Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I just bought her and she's dead already?

1999BlazerLT
06-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Well, i'm a newbie here, since I just bought this blazer 3 days ago. '99 LT AWD, and this afternoon, she dies out of the blue braked at a stop light (in a turning lane. ARGH.). I spent most of my free and immediately available cash getting the truck in the first place, so now i'm kinda up a creek with barely a paddle. It seems like its got most of the symptoms of the ignition switch/harness, I have all of my dash lights, nothing intermittent, prndl shifts, ect. and I can hear the fuel pump whining, dash says i've got a low battery, at about 1/4 position but lights seem bright and all my windows seem as quick as when I got her.
She won't start, she'll try and try (not to the point of frying the starter), but I haven't been able to get it started since. When I tried, it did crank strong, and not like a dead/dying battery at all.
I don't want to throw anymore money away than I have to, and I do want to keep her, despite this. How does this sound to you? I was looking online and it seemed like the crank sensor can cause the same issue? I already knew i'd have to replace the drivers side hub bearing (steering feels kinda loose, clunks one in a while and occasionally on slow turns the abs seems like it's kicking on. Along with the feeling like i'm being blown around by the wind), but I wasn't expecting this.
Or should I just go back to my '91 rusty but trusty S-10 before it's too late? (Yes, I realize i'm asking a blazer forum.) :sarcasmsign:

old_master
06-14-2009, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the forum! Your 1999 has OBDII engine controls with the CSFI fuel injection system, totally different system than your '91. If you don't own a fuel pressure tester, you'll need one, as fuel pressure is critical on these engines. Most auto parts stores sell them for around $40 and Harbor Freight has an inexpensive one for under $20.

Check fuel pressure and leakdown first, then check for blue spark to all cylinders. Post your results and we will help you.

4x4 blazerguy
06-17-2009, 12:58 AM
You shouldn't hear the fuel pump whining. The only time I heard that on our 97 it failed. I agree with the pressure issue. But sometimes I find it cheaper to take it to a shop & have it checked than to start replacing parts when not sure what the problem is. Are there any codes? Blazer fuel systems are not easy. Fuel pump, F.P.R, injectors, & tubes.

1999BlazerLT
06-17-2009, 01:15 AM
No codes at all, when the key is placed in start, the dash lights up normally, aside from the low battery indicator. I actually just had a shop look at it, I broke down across the street from one. I don't have the money to start replacing parts blindly, and after I asked them to check the fuel pressure, they agreed with me that it wasn't up to snuff (40psi), and that the fuel pump was bad, the whine was crazy loud, which was why I kinda felt that's what the problem was. There weren't enough symptoms of the ignition switch to justify a blind replacement, since my dash still worked fine, but the low battery indicator did pique my interest. The guy I bought it off of is pulling a working fuel pump off of a parts truck for me. It's a Bosch less than a year old, so I expect to get some mileage out of it before I have to put in a real deal ac delco replacement. At least it's not an Airmax, or some other cheapy pump. I just need the thing to run long enough until I get money saved up to fix her up right. I was just shocked that it died so soon.

4x4 blazerguy
06-22-2009, 01:51 AM
60 PSI is normal for pressure. these Blazers don't do good under that PSI.

ken_man_1
06-22-2009, 09:33 AM
I've got a couple of trucks that have a whiney fuel pump, and they run fine. However - 40psi will not fire the injectors. That is way too low. You need at least 60 (or very close to) to keep the thing going. When you drop the tank, be sure to be careful of the vent on the top front of the tank. If you're not - you'll break the vent tube, and then have to spend more money on that to fix it. Good luck - let us know how it goes.

b1lk1
06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
My fuel pump has whined for over a year. I have tested it 3 times and it has never given me issues so it stays in until it dies since a good pump goes for well over $500 up here in "you want good auto parts we will rape you" land (Canada if you are still wondering where that is).

Add your comment to this topic!