Page updated on 11-19-2017

Rear End Squeaking Please Help

Empresive
06-12-2009, 07:33 PM
I have a 1995 Chevy Taho 4WD and about a few months ago i started to notice that a squeaking noise was starting to show up, but at first it would only squeak when in reverse. When i had bought it in Indiana and came out to Arizona and had drove it to az it ran like a charm even though it had 189,000 miles but not one problem came up. I was even towing a sandrail as well.

After i got to AZ after a few months later i noticed the squeaking noise when i had it in reverse and only when in reverse. Now im at the point were i can go forward and backwords or just be in motion it now squeaks even louder. There has been a rear end leak ever since i bought it and have been trying to use rear end expanding oil to try fixing it but i dont think its working. My Dad thinks its the drum brakes neededing to be replace because there has been a few times were i would smell burnt rubber coming from the rear end. After examinging it to me it sounds like that the squeaking is coming from the rear end drive shaft, and is only get worse. Can anyone help me out on finding what it may be? cause to me it sounds like under the truck instead of it coming from my brakes but instead sounds like a little further ahead of the tires were the drive shaft is.

I even took the tires off to check out my brakes and oil them to see if it would help but no luck. I did notice though with the tire off i turned the drum when it was in N and it made the same squeaking noise i been hearing and sounds like it was coming right were it turns the driveshaft but went away a little after putting the tire back on. It only seems to happen when my truck is started and sounds like its under right in front of the tires cause the squeaking sounds even on both sides. I even had it off and popped it in reverse and it made the noise but after repeating it i didnt.

Can anyone help me out here? i just bought $100 of parts that i really dont think i need. Any help will be great.

toddman67
06-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a dry U-joint. Remove the saddle staps from the rear end yoke and see if the U-joint caps are stiff.
If not, spin the yoke on the rear end and see if the noise is comming from the pinion bearings. Loss of gear oil will kill the bearings. See how hot the nose of the rear end is after a drive.

Empresive
06-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Alright, ill give it a shot and see what happens cause i really dont want to spend money on parts that aint going to help.

Just to make sure to calm my mind a bit you dont think the rear end is going out or anything mayjor? i do keep a eye out on the rear oil and just checked it again today and ended up putting alot of oil in but were its parked there isnt any wet oil spots from what i can see, though i can look under the truck and can see oil all over everything like its getting sprayed.

And another thing i want to ask could this squeaking noise come from the seal from tightning up? could that also make that noise as well.

toddman67
06-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Unfortuneatly running the oil down will kill the bearings especially on highway runs. Check the joints first, then go from there. It's not likely a seal making the noise.
I've seen the rear end covers on these become porus and leak.
Any vibrations while running down the road?
If the rear end is leaking, where is it leaking from? Did you put GL-5 rated gear oil back in it.
Check the backing plates for rubbing on the drums too.

Empresive
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I have felt vibrations but not from the rear more in the front but i just figured it was the road, cause it seems to run real smooth. As for the leak im not to sure wear its leaking at as i havent been able to pin point were it is, i have put this one stuff in forgot what its called but it was $9.99 and was for rear end leaks that i got at autozone.

I do remember before leaving Indiana and came out to arizona towing a sandrail as well and when i got to AZ i check the rear end oil and it didnt take to much at all to fill backup which i figured was doing good with the leak. My Dad had put in this one stuff in but not sure what it was, though the price was cheap so idk if it helped out any.

I did use this truck for a job i got that involved driving long distances and before starting this job my truck was at 189,000 miles and is now 194,000 with in 7 months. Over time i did check the rear end oil and had put more rear end leaks type oil in but my dad only put in a small amount and then filled the rest up with normal gear oil. Though today it did take alot and i really havent been driving it much, just the squeaking is getting alot worse then before.

I check out the brakes today and they was ok, but after removing the drum cap there was alot of loose dust or rust in it that i cleaned out, but with the tire off on one side and jacked up i turned the drum and heard the same squeaking noise from the middel were the drive shaft turns at, cause at first it sounded like it was coming from the brakes and drum but after driving it forward and then reverse real slow over and over again i think it is just a little up ahead from were the tires are.

So at the momment its really hard for me to figure out were it is that the nosie is coming from but it dont sound like its coming from the brakes at all.

Im going to try again tomorrow and examine it more, i just bought 1 drum, brake shoes and a all in one drum kit but just dont think thats going to help. I will also try your first suggestions about the U-joints but if thats not it i really dont know what to do. Im not a mechanic as im just starting off learning about this stuff. I really just hope there is away to fix my truck without anything mayjor happening like the rear end going out, so anything you suggest i will try.

Sorry for the long messages lol im just panicing cause i really love my truck as it is not your normal taho, the guy i bought it from had really put alot of money on the outside of it and seems im putting more money in parts to fix minor stuff and so far haven found anything major besides this loud squeaking that is getting worse and will try anything to fix it if i can, and hoping the rear end isnt going out.

toddman67
06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Well at least get the drive shaft removed from the rear end and check the joints. Then see if the noise is still there with the drive shaft removed.
Do yourself a favor and dump the combinations of fluids from the differential by removing the rear end cover. Get a new gasket and refill it with GL-5 rated gear oil. Hopefully you will solve the squeek with a new U-joint, but if not, we will look at other issues later.

Empresive
06-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Sounds good to me, i'll be starting on it tomorrow, so should i take back the new drum i bought and the drum kit and get my money back or should i just wait on it just in case i need a new one. :smile:

Empresive
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I found the problem and it was the U-Joint for the rear was like seized up and really hard to turn, after removing the driveshaft it wasnt hard to spot and was making the sqeeking noise i been hearing.

Thanks very much toddman67 for your help, or i would still be going at it trying to find my problem.

You rock!!

toddman67
06-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Good deal! Glad to help, Thanks for posting results. This will help others as well.
I would still consider changing out the rear end fluid. Your leak will probably disappear now as a result of the U-joint change.

Empresive
06-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh, ok then i better change the rearend oil then, what would you recommend using for it?

toddman67
06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I would recommend any name brand gear oil so long as it has the GL-5 rating. The reason for the GL-5 is that I'm not sure if you have the G80 code differential which could be located in the glove box door on the sticker with all the build codes. G80 indicates locking differential which will burn up if the right fluid is not used. Even if the vehicle does not indicate G80 it would not hurt to use GL-5. Synthetics are not required here, valvoline or other name brand gear oils will be fine. Take the differential cover to the parts store when you go to get the gasket and oil to make sure the gasket matches up right. Fill the level even with the plug hole on the side of the differential nose.

Empresive
06-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh i didnt know that, i'll be sure to do that then. Thanks so much you been such a big help with this, and now i can maintain the rear end on my truck much better then before, plus i know more about the driveshaft and U-Joints lol thanks man for everything.

j cAT
06-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Oh, ok then i better change the rearend oil then, what would you recommend using for it?

the rear diff has a vent ////make sure the vent can breath...if plugged when the diff heats it will throw out the gear oil...

also if it leaks at the pinion seal this should be replaced...this is not that difficult or expensive to have repaired..

Empresive
06-13-2009, 10:03 PM
It does leak right were the seal is, been using stuff for rear end leaks to try expanding the seal. Though i been keeping a eye on it to see if its getting better or not cause i dont like going to shops they always try taking advantage over people. I heard replacing the seal wasnt to hard to do so i might be ending up doing that if it dont get any better. There is oil all over the place under my truck could that be from the vent being plugged? if so were is the vent located at.

j cAT
06-13-2009, 10:46 PM
It does leak right were the seal is, been using stuff for rear end leaks to try expanding the seal. Though i been keeping a eye on it to see if its getting better or not cause i dont like going to shops they always try taking advantage over people. I heard replacing the seal wasnt to hard to do so i might be ending up doing that if it dont get any better. There is oil all over the place under my truck could that be from the vent being plugged? if so were is the vent located at.

I believe on your vehicle it is threaded into the diff housing near the top...

on the 99 on up they used a hose that goes up to the fuel filler cap, where their is a small vent cap...

remove the vent and see if you can blow thru it..

with the mileage and the leaking I would not be surprised if it has debris blocking the vent..

with the diff cover removed,,, and the vent removed use a small wire to check its open to the diff gears..

use mineral spirits ///paint thinner and with a rag clean the box out the best you can...

the diff housing where the gasket sets has two , drain back holes for the outer rear wheel bearings ///make sure the gasket , sealer does not block these holes...

toddman67
06-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Follow these instructions if you need to replace the pinion seal.
Also that is a very good point that j cAT mentioned about the breather.
The pinion seal is probably toasted due to the bad U-joint.

Remove the U-joint straps from thre pinion yoke. put a dimple on the yoke, the pinion shaft and nut or a suitable reference mark for the proper torque of the nut during re-assembly. Remove the pinion nut preferably with an impact gun. Note the posistion of the yoke for re-assembly. Tap the yoke loose from the pinion shaft. Remove the seal.

Install the new seal. Install the yoke in the original posistion. Install the nut and tighten down until the dimples or reference marks line up.

Do not over tighten the pinoin nut! There is a crush spacer that was installed during the original set up for the proper preload and pinion to ring gear set up. This is the reason for the reference marks and yoke posistion.

Empresive
06-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Oh, i didnt know that either, i'll go check it out and see what i come across. Thanks for posting the instructions toddman it will help me out alot as i never changed a pinion seal before. Also thanks j Cat about vent info as well.

Add your comment to this topic!