Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 beretta 2.0

freetowin001
06-11-2009, 09:40 PM
the engine turns over but won't start. its getting spark and fuel comes out but it put flames out of carb any help.

cfrank2
06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
the engine turns over but won't start. its getting spark and fuel comes out but it put flames out of carb any help.

That car should have a TBI injected engine and not a carb.

jsgold
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
You need to check for any stored codes in the computer to rule out things such as EGR valve and other components that are tracked by it. These cars can even be checked by shorting out pins on computer but be sure you do it right. There are plenty of places that can show this online. or, see if you can borrow a OBDI code checker from Advance or Autozone or any other parts place near to you. If there are no codes I would bet the crank sensor and/or the ignition module are at fault. As mentioned you have a TBI not a carb and if it is blowing fire out it sounds like the spark is mis timed. The crank sensor is supposed to be the "timer" for firing. BTW the spark you get should be BLUE and 3-4". Anything less and the coils or ignition module is suspect. Maybe even the main computer, as these cars are prone to water leakage that can short out the CPU. Try to find a manual for it to guide you. Also a fuel pressure test would not hurt. TBI does not require much but I am not sure how much. I think it takes 12-15 lbs but a manual would tell you for sure....

loosenut74
09-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I would say jumped time, but that's impossible, look for a bad crank sensor.

Add your comment to this topic!