Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Dodge van fuel problems?

redrockerfan
06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a 1991 Dodge 3500 van with 160,000 miles on it.Never had any major problems with it until the other day.I started it right up drove it for about 6 blocks and all of a sudden it started loosing power and started sputtering and backfiring then died.I towed it home and after it cooled down it started right up again.This time I just let it sit in the drive way and run.15-20 minutes later it did the same thing.Could this be the fuel pump?I put a pressure regulator on it and when it runs its at 40lbs until it dies.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

alloro
06-11-2009, 06:36 AM
when it runs its at 40lbs until it dies.

Does the pressure drop when it dies or does it stay at 40lbs even after it dies?

When you attempt to restart it right away is there fuel pressure, if so how much?

How full is the gas tank?

Is there spark when it won't start?

redrockerfan
06-11-2009, 06:54 PM
As soon as it starts to run ruff the fuel pressure gauge needle goes between 32-40lbs very erraticly.This time I couldn't get it to backfire and die on its own.I turned it off and restarted it and it goes to 40 when key is turned on and as soon as it starts the needle starts hopping back and forth again.

redrockerfan
06-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Gas tank is half full.

alloro
06-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Judging from those symptoms it does sound like the fuel pump is starting to go on you. Also, problems with a fuel pump tend to be more obvious with a 1/2 tank or less. This is because the pump is no longer fully submerged in the fuel. The fuel acts as a heat sink, allowing the pump to run cooler.

redrockerfan
06-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I tested it again today and the fuel pressure stays between 38-40 even when it dies.This time I put a timing light on the plugs and they get realy strong spark until the engine starts running ruff and backfiring.When its warm the spark is weak and not steady.I put the timing light on the coil wire going to the distributor cap and it is also very weak and not steady.Maybe the coils going bad?Anybody else have any suggestions?

Add your comment to this topic!