Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help quick. 96 Jetta wont start. Seems like electricity problem

kurkovn2005
06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Over the past 2 months it is starting to get harder to turn on my car. like I really need to turn my key really really hard. Especially when it is very hot weather. also when I start my car, all the lights in my car are dim, until I press the gas to turn the RPM's to about 2 thousand. then it goes brighter. like I think that is when it switches to the generator. Also yesterday I filled up my tank and it stoped by it self indicating that my tank is full. so I tried a couple of times to press it again to make sure that it is ful and that it did not slip. but when I got into the car it shows that I only have 3/4 fuel. and I did not have my ignistion on when fueling, I know that messes it up. So today I drove my car to pick up my brother and then after leaving I could not start my car at all. I am sure my battery died because all the electronics are super dim and go off. So I thought that it is just my battery. So my brother came over and we tried to jump start it. When we hooked up the wires all the electronics again started to work, like clock and inside light and so I turned the key to start the car, and the started turns but the car will not start, and all at that time I here this clicking sound right in front of my steering wheel. and after a few tries to start, the alarm goes off. and as usual the car tries to start only when I turn the key SUPER hard. like my fingers hurt after it. and so I dont know what the problem is. I hope someone can help quick cause my car is parked at the school.

jetta4j
07-09-2009, 03:01 AM
sounds like you may have a faulty ignition switch.

Davez69gto
07-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree w/ the ignition switch. It seems like something inside of it may have been bent so that the contacts don't meet up. I would also have your battery and alternator tested. The dimming used to happen to one of my cars as well. After the car goes below 2k rpms do the lights go dim again or are they normal?

kurkovn2005
08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks. Ya it was the lock. like it was messed up. but they come off so hard it was uch faster just to swtch the steering column with the new ignition. it was all 75 bucks. it is all done.

Add your comment to this topic!