Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car shuts off itself after a few seconds

ajm786
06-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Guys, I'm having a problem that I need help with diagnosing.

I have a 1995 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight Royale LS. This issue just started. The problem is that on a cold start (morning), when the car is started, it starts perfectly fine. After idling anywhere between 2-5 seconds, you can hear the engine start sputtering, like it's not getting fuel. The "Traction Off" lights up on the dash, then goes off. Then, the "Check Engine" light comes on, after which the engine dies. All lights on the dash stay on, however. The battery is fine, there is no corrosion.

I think it sounds like a case of bad fuel. I put some Lucas fuel treatment in, but that doesn't seem to help. The car does not have a problem starting, or did not exhibit any issues before this started happening.

Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?

Thanks!

maxwedge
06-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I would check fuel pressure for starters. Also a scan for codes is in order here.

ajm786
06-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I would check fuel pressure for starters. Also a scan for codes is in order here.

I took it to my local gas station.

The mechanic said it might be a bad MAF, or EGR. But he said that even if he hooked up his scan tool to the car he wouldn't be able to pull any codes, because since my car is a '95, the computer doesn't have memory like most '96 and above.

L. Hansen
09-02-2009, 12:02 PM
My mechanic used a Tech II scanner on my 94 Olds 88 Royale and said if it had waited 5 seconds and had a Pass Key code that it was the anti-theft thingy in the steering column. If you can get the scanner code it might give you a better idea.

ajm786
09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Everything I tried made no difference. I already had it scanned numerous times, and the scanner always said that it was the MAF. I changed the MAF wiring pigtail, did every known thing to man in trying to diagnose it. A few pro mechanics couldn't even pin it down.

Finally I took the engine out of the car and put it into another. Bottom line is that the wiring went bad, or the PCM went bad.

Add your comment to this topic!