Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 Ford Thunderbird 5.0 v8, starts then shuts off

PhilLove
06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Ford
Thunderbird
5.0L v8
Automatic
129,000 miles

Leading Up to the Problem (i think)
Car [/URL]overheated really bad and shut off on me. wouldnt start till it cooled down. 2 days later it overheats and i have to put water in it 3 times before I get 40 miles. I stop and shut the car off. I turn the car on and fill it with water and it just shuts off. Also the fuse for my speedometer (electric numbers), radio, and interior lights, all on the same fuse will not stay. everytime i put in a new one it blows automatically. idk if this could have any effect or not.

Problem
The distrubtor is loose, i can turn it left to right with a little force. If i put the distributor all the way to the left the car will turn on but shut off within 20 seconds, like it stalls or dies. Now if i push the distributor anywhere else it will turn over but not start. I know the fuel pump [URL="http://autoforums.carjunky.com/Automotive_Repair_C1/Engine_Troubles_F16/1988_Ford_Thunderbird_5.0_v8%2C_starts_then_shuts_ off_P49612/#"] (http://autoforums.carjunky.com/Automotive_Repair_C1/Engine_Troubles_F16/1988_Ford_Thunderbird_5.0_v8%2C_starts_then_shuts_ off_P49612/#) works because i can hear it kick on, and smell a rich gas smell.

any help will be appreciated this is my only means of transportation.

97Bird
06-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the forum PhilLove. You have multiple problems that are all serious by themselves. You have to get the engine timed and then the distributor needs to be tightened down. You need to find out where all of the water is going. If the engined isn't timed correctly then it could cause the engine to overheat and the water will boil out. Since you drove the overheating car to the point that it just stopped then you could have blown some gaskets allowing water into the cylinders. As far as the fuse goes, you have a short in the wiring somewhere. Did you have this problem before the overheating started? You don't sound mechanically inclined so your best bet is to have a reputable shop look at the car but it's going to cost you! Maybe you will have learned not to drive an overheating car until it stops. Sorry to say but if I were you, I'd be looking for another car.

PhilLove
06-09-2009, 06:36 PM
the car has overheated before, and i was trying to pull over but was in the mountains with no shoulder really. the car didnt shut off until i stopped and put it in park. it has happened once before awhile back.

Add your comment to this topic!