Im back, Bishes!

MZR_47
06-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Yeah I took quite a long time off from here with school and work taking over my life. But I figured I can make a comeback now that summer is started.

I no longer have the Cobalt. I sold it about a month ago and picked up a 2004 Subaru WRX STi. TEIN coilovers, short throw shifter, front and rear sway bars, V-limited lip, SPT catback. I have a downpipe and UTEC waiting to go in when I get home from Ocean City, and should have it up to about 375hp, or 280awhp.

Good to be back, nice to see some familiar faces still around! Ill post up some pictures from the Ocean City, Maryland car show as soon as they import to my computer.

VR43000GT
06-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Nice car it sounds like man! Make sure and get pics up ASAP.

silentscreams85
06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
welcome back. maybe through in some sound clips as well as pics.... =)

TorchedStealth
06-16-2009, 02:09 PM
C'mon mr. Failboat! Dont make them wait for teh pics! You have to share the sexyness. Dont make me post the pics I have, cause they are from the night of your...uh...misfortune lol

VR43000GT
06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes, do post pics and a sound clip as I enjoy the low rumble of the STi's. How does it feel to finally have traction? :D

MZR_47
06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Traction is my best friend, although I still dont get traction when a gun it in first around a corner, but it is a very controlled slide.

I will get some sound clips up later today hopefully, as I dont have a video camera. Ill get some up of my friend's open DP WRX too, as that thing sounds like pure sex.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/osiris555/V-Lip.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/osiris555/DecepticonLogo.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/osiris555/Decepticon2.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/osiris555/bellmouth.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/osiris555/sideshot.jpg

-The Stig-
06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm diggin the custom plate.

Sexy car, good job.

MZR_47
06-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Thank ya, Im happy to finally have it! I have some epic plans for this thing, just got to save up the money to do it since everything is so damn expensive for these cars.

VR43000GT
06-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Thank ya, Im happy to finally have it! I have some epic plans for this thing, just got to save up the money to do it since everything is so damn expensive for these cars.

Welcome to the crowd! :crying:

Looks like a very nice car man. But you are right, cars like that will cost more to mod than a new age Cavalier/Cobalt.

Edit: Do you know how much the Megan Racing DP was? You can get those things new on ebay for only like $120 for our cars...however, the Megan Racing DP's only fit first gen TT's unless you want to cut off and reweld the rear flange that connects to the exhaust manifold. So, lucky me got a $380 Stillen Downpipe which does have a flex section at least where as the Megan Racing DP didn't. Post up some vids!

MZR_47
06-18-2009, 12:07 AM
My DP was $157 brand new, I love how cheap their stuff is! I have had great experience with them with the Cobalt and now the STi. There isnt a DP made for the STI with a flex section, and as far as I know the only thing that does is the up pipe, which is weird.

Ill get some video up when I get access to a camera!

VR43000GT
06-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Yeah, Megan Racing definately has some pretty reasonable price. I have talked to some 1st gen VR4 owners who used the downpipe and for the most part they loved it. I know one guy who bought it said it ended up cracking after a year or two but just fixed it by taking it to an exhaust shop and having a flex section welded in. Which even in that case, they are still spending less than the price of pretty much any other downpipe. The one place I do try to avoid that specializes in 3S's is 3SX though. My God, bring out the big wallet!

Back to the STi though. Are you planning on taking it to the track any time soon? I would imagine with a good run you should be able to hit a high 12 with those mods if you can launch the awd it properly. :D

-The Stig-
06-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I had a Megan Racing turbo manifold on my old SR20DET.

It was pretty... then after about 5-6 hours of use the high temps discolored it and it turned black. No biggie. Worked like a charm. I've heard of the flanges cracking on some of their products due to them no being 100% flat.. slightly warped. But I think that's one of those rare things and didn't crack till later down the line.

It's cheap enough where it doesn't really bother me if it's shitty. I think I only paid like $200? for my tubular manifold for my baby turbo back in the day. Had I spent the money for a 'name brand' one like from HKS it would of been something like $800 or something stupid at the time. I'll gladly deal with a 'maybe' headache for a quarter of the price. lol

TorchedStealth
06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Just tuned the sti on 18psi last night so it doesnt die so hard in fourth gear. Its so weird riding in it with the short gears though! SL you know what I mean, used to having the long gears in the 3/S and I'm used to the LSJ gearing. When Tyler rips it you think your going like 140 at the end of fourth and you look over and your going 96mph lol. Definately something to get used to!

I agree with a hard launch you should hit high 12's. Depending on how used to my radials I get and how hard I push it i may be in the 12's also, but a low 13 at 106-108 seems more do-able since my drag radials are sort of small lol. May have to do some runs soon tyler. And have brady and brandon race!

VR43000GT
06-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Just tuned the sti on 18psi last night so it doesnt die so hard in fourth gear. Its so weird riding in it with the short gears though! SL you know what I mean, used to having the long gears in the 3/S and I'm used to the LSJ gearing. When Tyler rips it you think your going like 140 at the end of fourth and you look over and your going 96mph lol. Definately something to get used to!

I agree with a hard launch you should hit high 12's. Depending on how used to my radials I get and how hard I push it i may be in the 12's also, but a low 13 at 106-108 seems more do-able since my drag radials are sort of small lol. May have to do some runs soon tyler. And have brady and brandon race!

I have been in a EVO before as well. They have very short rally style gearing. It almost seems like just as you shifted it is time to shift agian! First, secon...thir...WTF? However, while those short gears don't help out as much on upper highway speeds, they make for very mean off-the-line zippy little cars. A good combo of power, awd, and short gearing and that thing will completely book off the line.

You are right though, the 3S is long geared. The 6 speed's 3rd gear ends around 107 mph and the first gen TT's 3rd gear ended around 123 mph. Not quite as quick for lower speeds but still not too bad. Highway runs are nice just for the fact you don't have to shift that much if at all. I raced a WRX some time back on the freeway and could hear him running through his gears in a panic as I pulled away from him while just sitting in 3rd gear lol. Quick question though to MZR, is your turbo a 13T or 19T TD04?

TorchedStealth
06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I believe its a vf39, so 19t I think. My friend brandon's 2.0 bug eye wrx has a 13t and MZR's is bigger

VR43000GT
06-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah that is what I was thinking. A lot of 3S guys like to take either the 13T or 19T and bolt them on to their TT's for a nice gain in power. Hell, lawdawg on 3si had the small 13T's on his VR4 with basic supporting mods and ran an 11.8. Those subaru turbo mesh nicely with our cars.

Polygon
06-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Hahahaha! Love the plate man. :cwm27:

MZR_47
06-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah the VF39 is a 19t. VF34 is the 13t. Not bad sized for a stock turbo, they can handle a good deal of boost as well. Im running 18 just fine, no knock on the TurboXS stage 2 base map, even with 91 octane turd gas.

I hope to get 850cc injectors, a Walbro fuel pump, and an E85 tune for another good chunk of power. That should push me over in to the 320whp region. After that race with sid, I think I confirmed that I am at about 280-285 right now, with the base tunes.

The gearing takes getting used to (Cobalt was 2nd and forget about it... I tried that in this and didnt realize how short the gears were. Two seconds later I was bouncing it off the limiter!) I really do like the acceleration and no wheel hop or traction loss. Not to mention I can do some pretty legitimate powerslides around corners now without using the Ebrake! I plan to take it to the track next month, should have video of that with Taylor too. Both of us hitting 12s would be awesome, but we will be happy with low 13s. Especially me, since this AWD launch is new to me.

I also plan to autocross it, as soon as I work up the courage to obliterate a few cones with my bumper

Chiquae07
07-15-2009, 02:04 PM
nice pick up!

Add your comment to this topic!