Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Impala LS Light Show (BCM)

vando002
06-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I have a 2002 Impala LS--287k miles--

Recently this car just started going crazy with headlights and interior lights flashing, every warning light flashing through on the dashboard (security,battery,door open, trunk open...etc), Hi-Beam blue light indicator not working, trunk pop button not working, radio sometimes displaying that it's locked and inoperable, no power windows or locks... also every light flash inside the car is accompanied by a ticking noise on the passenger side in the dashboard.

I've seen other threads where others had the same issues and their impalas wouldn't start. I did the Passlock bypass procedure (after a lot of no-start issues) with resistors awhile ago so my car still starts no problem.

A couple questions, does this sound like the BCM? If so, where could I purchase one for the best price? Where could I go and how much would it be to get it programmed correctly? Where is the BCM located inside the car (anyone have a pic taken of installed BCM?)

I'm sure there are others that have had this issue and have resolved it. Please share your knowledge to help get this figured out. Thank you in advance!!!

AV

HeMi101
06-06-2009, 09:38 PM
First for the hell of it, Check all your grounds and the battery connectors. make sure nothings corroded or loose. If everything checks out, BCM most likely cooked!

Some info:

Here is what a BCM looks like:
http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/0a/41/90ef_1.JPG
http://www.cardone.com/Imagesftp/73/730320-01.jpg

And its not hard to locate. you really don't need a picture or a diagram.
Pull down the black Kick cover (2 little clips that you push) under the driver side of the dash, and its above (but slightly towards the front of the car) the Parking brake pedal. If i remember correctly, you'll see the three connectors connected to it (Grey, Grey and Pink) and the black clip that holds it to a metal bracket. I'll see if i can find any pictures, but should be findable from the description above. All i was told the first time was "above the parking brake" and i found it.

You can have it programed by any shop with a Tech II Programmer, not just a dealer. COULD be cheaper (was 50$ to program ours at our usual Mechanic's shop vs 140$ for programming at the dealer we bought it from).

One place to look is Rock Auto:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1380080,parttype,2888 (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1384084,parttype,2888)

But there is many other places.

Iflylow
06-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Bad ignition switch can also cause most of these symptoms, I think. Hemi can confirm or deny that, I hope. However, I also am thinking BCM on this one.

HeMi101
06-06-2009, 11:41 PM
True Fly. True.

Does the car Run? have you driven it like this? Has your Cluster reset (Gauges Sweep Like you JUST turned the car on). If that's not happening, I'd still lean toward BCM.

Also, do your head lights work properly? do the interior Running lights come on properly (The Millage and radio screen Dim too?)

vando002
06-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Does the car Run? have you driven it like this? Has your Cluster reset (Gauges Sweep Like you JUST turned the car on). If that's not happening, I'd still lean toward BCM.

Also, do your head lights work properly? do the interior Running lights come on properly (The Millage and radio screen Dim too?)

This issue started happening when my wife was driving the car. She had just gone maybe a quarter mile from home and turned around and it's been parked ever since. The gauges don't completely reset, but they twitch a little bit.

The headlights flash on and off along with the interior lights on the mirror and backdoors. Yes the mileage and radio both dim I believe and the radio says "locked".

Funniest thing, right after I posted this, I put the key in the On position for 11 minutes. The car started and no light show. I didn't have time to take it for a drive because I had to leave for work. The next day the wife tried it again, now it doesn't start. It doesn't do anything when turning the key (Just like back when we had the no start issues which I bypassed with resistors.) So that's where we are now, no start and all the other issues. I guess will order the BCM, call around to find a garage that can program, and replace it. Is it just unclipping the BCM and unplugging the wires from it to replace it? I can tell it will be much more work than that just trying to maneuver it out of there though. Thanks for your help guys. It's always appreciated. Sorry for the delayed response too, been a little busy lately.

HeMi101
06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Ya Im 99% sure (cuz theres always that 1% chance its not lol) its the bcm. Ignition Switch doesn't affect the headlights at all, you turn the car off your headlights stay on till the BCM says off etc.... same with when you pull the knob out, they would come on because the Ignition has NO control over that knob.

vando002
06-18-2009, 12:29 PM
See below. This is what I pasted out of rockauto.com for the BCM for my Impala. There are 3 options. The first says it's remanufactured. I didn't think that the BCM could be used again, I thought could only be bought brand new. Please confirm. The last two seem like they have the same exact description. Would the second part (#10350647) be the correct one to buy since it mentions about being a four door (I don't think there are 2 door Impalas in 2002)? Do i have to check the BCM that is currently in the car? I just want to make sure that I buy the correct part. Thanks!!

A-1 CARDONE Part # 730320 {[Body Control Computer] Remanufactured}
RPO Configuration/Set-Up And Theft Relearn Is Required After InstallationMore Info (http://info.rockauto.com/Cardone/Detail3.htm?/73/730320-01.jpg)$88.79$70.00$158.79

ACDELCO Part # 10350647
MODULE,BODY CONT 4 DOORS; w/o SEO WIRING(6J1) or SEO POLICE CAR(9C1) or SEO POLICE CAR,LIMITED CONTENT(9C3)- Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day$147.79$0.00$147.79

ACDELCO Part # 15224203 {#10377972}
MODULE,BODY CONT w/SEO POLICE CAR(9C1) or SEO POLICE CAR,LIMITED CONTENT(9C3); STAMPED 15224203* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 3 business days$148.89$0.00$148.89

HeMi101
06-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Remanufactured means they took the chips off, and put new chips on it. So its a blank ready to be programmed once.

The second two are for Impala 9c1 s (Cop car) with extra wiring. You want the first one. I'm somewhat leary about ReManufactured stuff, but my replacement bcm was a reman. and It's been working good for 2 years.

vando002
06-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks Hemi! I just ordered the Cardone reman from RockAuto. I will let ya know how it goes. I'm going to try to get the old one out soon so once I receive the new one, I can get it programmed and installed right away. Does the person who programs the new one need the vehicle on the premises to do the programming or do they just need the VIN #?

HeMi101
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
AFAIK it HAS to be in the car for them to program it. I'd get it to the shop, and swap them out in the parking lot my self, then have them come over and program it :D

Iflylow
06-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Hemi is correct, as usual:)
The car will not start without the correct BCM installed. By correct I mean one that has been programmed with your VIN.
Drive the car with the old BCM installed, to the place where you will get the programming done. Then, install the new BCM, and have the guy come out and set it up for you. The BCM cannot be programmed out of the car.

HeMi101
06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Hemi is correct, as usual:)
The car will not start without the correct BCM installed. By correct I mean one that has been programmed with your VIN.
Drive the car with the old BCM installed, to the place where you will get the programming done. Then, install the new BCM, and have the guy come out and set it up for you. The BCM cannot be programmed out of the car.

I'm ALWAYS right! :evillol::evillol::rofl: (One can wish Can't he?)

vando002
06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all of your help Hemi and Iflylow!! I received the Cardone part a few days ago, called the dealer to see how much he would charge to program a new BCM. I told him I already had one and he told me that if I brought the car there, got the BCM out to where he could just unplug, plug in new BCM, and program, it would be cheap. So I took the BCM off of the bracket it's clipped to, unplugged the 3 wire harnesses, pulled the BCM out of there (couldn't get it easily out without unplugging), and plugged it back in letting it hang next to the brake pedal (out of the brake pedal's way of course). Then I drove it to the dealer and parked it leaving a note of what was needed. I got a call around 5pm the next day and it was done, cost was under $70. So the total cost to me for this whole BCM replacement was about $160 once I get the core charge back from RockAuto.com. Not too bad!! Now everything works fine and my next task will be to change the water pump and radiator.

Thanks for you help guys!!

HeMi101
06-28-2009, 12:15 AM
GOOD to hear it all worked!

Just a tid of info for future reference, if you have to jump start it ever , pull the BCM/CLSTR Fuse on the driver side fuse panel when you hook up the Jumper cables, I managed to fry my BCM by jump starting it.

vando002
06-28-2009, 06:22 AM
GOOD to hear it all worked!

Just a tid of info for future reference, if you have to jump start it ever , pull the BCM/CLSTR Fuse on the driver side fuse panel when you hook up the Jumper cables, I managed to fry my BCM by jump starting it.

I'll keep that in mind, Thanks!

HeMi101
06-28-2009, 01:05 PM
But you have to put the Fuse back in before you try to start it. Just has to be out when you connect the cables, so the voltage spike don't fry bcm.

please_pimp_my_rde
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
But you have to put the Fuse back in before you try to start it. Just has to be out when you connect the cables, so the voltage spike don't fry bcm.

I wish I would've found this info out a few days ago:banghead:

testera
03-15-2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.cardone.com/Imagesftp/73/730320-01.jpg

And its not hard to locate. you really don't need a picture or a diagram.
Pull down the black Kick cover (2 little clips that you push) under the driver side of the dash, and its above (but slightly towards the front of the car) the Parking brake pedal. If i remember correctly, you'll see the three connectors connected to it (Grey, Grey and Pink) and the black clip that holds it to a metal bracket. I'll see if i can find any pictures, but should be findable from the description above. All i was told the first time was "above the parking brake" and i found it.

I am searching for the Body Control Module on my 2002 Impala (base aodel, not LS) and I can't seem to find it.

What are the approximate dimensions for it?

I have the kick cover removed and I don't seem to see it. Could it be somewhere else on the base model of the Impala?

The issue I'm having (that I think is BCM related) is the headlights and backup lights flash after the car is turned off and while it is running. I hear a click (sounds like a relay switch) behind the radio.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!